How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 12:58 AM

Default Corrupt/Unlinked Files on upgrade

Hi,
I have just upgraded my OS from High Sierra to Monterey in order to use protools 2022.9. Upon opening the film project I have been most recently working on I am greeted with first with the message that the session contains unsupported media possibly due to a missing codec and then a message that 173 files have errors and may be corrupt. The session does open then and when I try to manually relink some of the files (this window is extremely slow to respond to my clicks) and commit those links, I receive an assertion error stating "Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2022/r3/ProTools/NewFileLibs/FF/Audio/FF_AudioFile.cpp", line 1333."

The session appears to have all the clips in place just unlinked and I am able to play all the files stored in the session's audio folder when accessing it directly. I would be very thankful for any advice on the best procedure here.

Last edited by EV2MS; 10-14-2022 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Corrupt/Unlinked Files

I forgot to mention I'm using the Studio version of ProTools and upgraded my OS in the ordinary way to my internal HD (not a clean install unfortunately)
Old 10-14-2022, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Corrupt/Unlinked Files on upgrade

Hi, welcome to the community.

Regretfully I must say that is not how you upgrade your Pro Tools system. Please take time to copy all your stuff to external storage, wipe the internal storage, make a clean OS install and then copy your stuff back. (not plugins though, those you need to install fresh too.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:35 AM

What Mac is this?
Are you positive it supports Monterey?
Try doing a fresh Pro Tools install

Create a new empty session then import all tracks and audio from the session causing you issues.

Where is this session located?

If you think this is a 2022.9 issue you can download and install 2022.7
Old 10-14-2022, 09:12 AM

THank you for your reply. I'm on a late 2015 macbook pro which does appear to be supported. My session is located on an external drive. My question for you is if I take the reimport route, is there any way to maintain all the clip placements and edits I have already made as this is a film project?
Old 10-14-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2MS View Post
THank you for your reply. I'm on a late 2015 macbook pro which does appear to be supported. My session is located on an external drive. My question for you is if I take the reimport route, is there any way to maintain all the clip placements and edits I have already made as this is a film project?
if you do Import Session Data from the original project into a new blank project everything will import as you left it in the original. This process is to determine if something is corrupt with the original session file. You don't lose anything from the original by importing into a new session. Select all tracks from the import list and choose the data you want to follow. Make sure you do a copy all audio files on import. do not link.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:43 PM

OK slow down and look at what is going on before potentially doing harm.

While full macOS updates should be preferred, and I'm a big fan of that, I would not assume that is the problem here and would not leap to doing that first.

Anytime you get a ASSERT error google the file name part of that error. Don't worry about the line number.

e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=asse...3Aduc.avid.com

Not a lot out there, but causes include corrupt sessions, wrong filesystem types, maybe corrupt filesystems, etc.

What exact filesystem is the session on? Is all the session content really on that file systems? Is the volume permission set to record or playback? Your UNIX/macOS user has read/write and owner permissions on those files and directories... nothing should have changed there since you did an in-situ upgrade, but double check.

Good advice so far at trying an import session. But what about other sessions you have? Have you tried them? (make sure everything is backed up multiple times before doing any of this farting around).

If that does not help I'd try quickly installing previous versions of Pro Tools alongside the version you have now and see if that solves any problems.

Failing all that, then back to your backups or trying a full clean macOS install (hopefully on a spare SSD).
Old 10-15-2022, 12:25 AM

ok thank you for the detailed approach! I have backed up my hard drive once again in preparation for a clean install with external boot drive; is there a possibility this could cause harm? I'm not seeing any search results for this assert error but when I try opening other sessions located on the same external drive I am getting the same result and the first message that pops up is one saying that files have errors or may be corrupted before asking me if I would like to relink a whole slew of files that are located in the session audio folder within the session folder on the external drive.

when you say to do a full clean install on a spare SSD, do you mean thats where the Monterey updater is located or do you mean using that as my Hard Drive and keeping my computer empty?
Thanks again, I'll try importing to a new session and report back.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:30 AM

I also checked the permissions on the session folder (just by selecting "get info", correct?) and it appears my user has read and write access while "wheel" and "everyone" have read only access. Is this different than record and playback?
Old 10-15-2022, 12:31 AM

It means installing onto the external drive, then booting from it, and if the assertion errors suddenly go away you know where your problem was and you can repeat the process with the internal drive.