Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2000, 08:38 AM

Default Antares, stand alone or RTAS?

Has anyone used the anatares stand alone- host based software in combination with their Pro tools LE?
If Anatares intends on releasing an RTAS version of their TDM software, would this be different/better than their stand alone product?
Thanks for any info
Chris
Old 03-20-2000, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Antares, stand alone or RTAS?

I'm using Autotune in TDM, and I really need to hear everything: the unprocessed voice, the post-Autotune voice and the rest of the session... or another clear reference.

It's easy for me to choose the best tunning if I have the whole mix.

I'm waiting for RTAS version of Autotune too...

[This message has been edited by obseco (edited March 20, 2000).]
Old 03-21-2000, 01:33 AM

I was reading a related Sound on Sound newsgroup thread and someone mentioned that the software versions don't have as good pitch correction algorithms as the hardware. This was something to do with Antares being aware that software protection on their plug-ins can be bypassed by the unscrupulous so why should they risk losing their best technology.... All of this could be speculations, of course. Does anyone know any more?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-21-2000, 02:54 AM

I'm working with TDM version of Autotune. I've tried the hardware version and the only thing I could do was nothing... Autotune doesn't work as well as expected in "automatic mode". Using Autotune with TDM you can load a piece of audio into its buffer and "redraw" the correct picht and avoid undesired "interpretations" of original pitch. Automatic mode makes "glissandos" as single notes, and a lot of strange changes to put all the audio into the correct tone. Even using smooth correction or chromatic scales, the only thing I could do to obtain a good result is redrawing in graphical mode.

I've finish a couple of proyects that ATR (hardware version) could not polish. I couldn't hear any difference between TDM vs. hardware processing. The only thing I realize is that using Autotune leave voices with less harmonics.

Sorry for my english...
Old 03-21-2000, 09:01 AM

If anyone's interested:
I just called Antares, they expect to have the RTAS version of autotune out in May/June. However, if you buy their stand alone product now, you can upgrade to the RTAS version when it comes out w/ only the cost of shipping.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Villepigue (edited March 21, 2000).]