Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 AM

Post 003 Rack info needed

Hi all, I am in the process of buying some equipment and wanted to know something... Ok first of all I already have a POD XT Pro & 003 Rack + and I have a Mesa Boogie Recto Recording Amp on its way... Now I want to be able to utilize the POD XT Pro but not sure what the best way to connect it all up...

Should I put the POD XT Pro as loop effect on the Mesa Boogie or should I put the POD as a loop effect on the 003 Rack? I suppose that if it was connected to the Mesa, then only the Mesa could utilize the FX and not the 003...

Please try be as detailed as possible even with cable types and where I plug everything into

Many thanks in advance...
Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack info needed

see my other post in your other topic..

If you want to record the sound coming from your Mesa, you should put a mic in front of it... Or connect some sort of direct out to your 003's inputs.. You can connect it the same way as I explained for the Pod. Just select other ins and outs.. :)

If you're able to connect the Mesa to different ins/outs you can have separate sends and auxes for both the Pod and the Mesa...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 AM

Hey gvees, many thanks for getting back to me... I am really a noob to all of this... Well put it this way, I have played guitar for many years but for financial reasons could never afford any good gear..... UNTIL NOW ;-) So basically I suck a*s at configuring and connecting everything up.

You mentioned that I should Mic the Mesa up... What is the best Mic to do this with? The Mesa I have on order is just the pre-amp for £1699 so it doesnt have the Amp or the Cab, but I plan on purchasing those within the next 4 months or so... Do I run a Mic which sits infront of the mesa directly into the 003 rack?

I will come back to you on the POD XT Pro again in a bit... Just gotta finish off a few things @ work,,,

Many thanks in advance again...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 AM

A lot of different opinions on what mic works best.. Major guitar recordings, actually most of them, are done with a simple Shure SM57: http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...M57-LC_content

But I would try the direct connection to the Mesa first and see if you like that sound. Saves a lot of hassle..

Positioning the mic is also up to your taste. Most people position the mic just a bit off centre of the cone inside the speaker. Other say it can only be at an angle of 30-45 degrees.. Just try what sounds best to your ears..

Myself I record almost everything (except vocals) at my home studio with a combination of two mics, an old Rode NT1 (condenser, large diagram) and an even older AKG 535 condenser mic. The combination gives me a very natural, rich and clear sound. The cool thing is that it sounds just a bit different than what your used to and that gives me a more 'signature' sound. Also it results in an overall sound that has the same character.
I'm talking about mic'ing acoustic guitar, electric guitar (2*12 cabinet), percussion and an old Wurlitzer mostly.. :)

Welcome into the beautiful world of recording..!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the advice about the Mics... I think that I will buy a Shure SM57 anyway because in a years time I wont be able to afford top gear (mesa etc) as I am going back to South Africa. I would rather get everything I need to now

Current setup

ESP Barritone with EMG 81 & 85 pickups
Line 6 POD XT Pro
Digi-Design 003 + Factory
Korg DTR-2000 Tuner

Mesa Boogie Recto Recording Pre-amp - On Order - ETA 4 month! lol (Damn pre getting hand built in California and have a 6 month waiting time) ;-)

I plan on getting the Mesa Boogie 2 Fifty Power AMP and a CAB when the pre-amp arrives...

What else should I have in my setup? Am I missing anything cool? lol
Old 05-20-2009, 06:11 AM

The SM57 is a great mic for guitars, I usually record (at home) with an SM57 and a Sennheiser MD421 next to each other, but I can go all out at the studio.

SM57 is not expensive I can pick one up here in Australia for about 130bucks, but the MD421's are nearly 800 bucks.