How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2023, 10:45 AM

Default Pro Tools and how to master the learning curve

Guys, please, may I share a discovery?

I was a certified Pro Tools engineer back in 2002. Yeah, old an old version on a G3-5..yikes. After 20 years, I'm now going back and catching up. There have been a lot of improvements all the way to the GUI itself.

The learning curve for most people is daunting, admit it, it is. Mastery is almost inconceivable. but we press on.

So, I'm now back reviewing what I know, and remember, but there are many other features and functions I've been using in other DAWs for years, and finding the appropriate similar function, and not quite knowing what they are actually called (there's not a lot of agreement between DAW vendors..lol) So, you have to 1) resort to U2B videos/tutorials/tips. but if there isn't one on the topic you need, you have to resort to the PT manual. But like most large companies, they don't keep documentation up to the version you are using, Things are just not there. example: "Auto Tempo Detection" in other DAWs, but not called the same there. this does not use beat detective, it's different.

Frustrated, couldn't find the answer, not a lot on the forums either.

ENTER the most incredible resource ChatGPT !!! Yes really. I had a full one-hour conversation with him (him her they, who cares, you get the idea). I asked about this function. Set project tempo from the imported audio track. Cakewalk just called it that. Simple. So does Pro Tools do that? I asked ChatGPT, I explained what I was doing in Cakewalk, and he described 4 different ways to do this in PT.. from Beat Detective. but came up with something he called "Auto Tempo Detection" There's no entry in the PT manual for this, and there are no U2B videos calling it that either. ChatGPT said there are a lot of features not in the PT Manual, and you have to use the tool-tips to find them.. but he knows where they are. save time on the hunt.

So I asked him, "How do I do this" Within 5 seconds I got two pages of step-by-step instructions. I saved hours and hours of research and video-watching to get right to my task.

Import a reference track for recording/mixing/mastering/ adjust the Project tempo to match the imported audio.. then record overdubs matching the original tempo map. using beat detective and other features you find on U2B or the manual, is a multi-step process.. for example: in Cakewalk, I select a clip or audio track data, click and drag and drop it on the time ruler. It is analyzed and a tempo map is made from it. in seconds. Saves me a lot of time., It's a feature I need from pro tools and I want it fast.

Hope this makes sense. IMHO.. thanks for reading. just had to share. ChatGPT is here to stay. USE IT (it feels like a real person, and can respond to humor..wow).