Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2016, 02:31 PM

Default Input trouble NULL 1 and 2 ?

Trying to help a friend with his pro tools rig. 11.1 something I think.

But weirdness abounds.

Like input list starts at null 1, null 2, mic/line 1, mic 2, etc.

really? null? WTH.

On the session with NULL where I can get input, the I/O show NULL 1 is 1 NULL 2 is 2, mic 1 is 3 mic 2 is 4, but mic 1 and 2 respond to what is plugged into 1 and 2 even though I/O show boxes 3 and 4 checked.

Some sessions will have a regular I/O layout with out the null 1 and 2 being there, but those session will not get any input to ANY input, no matter what I try.

He has an Apollo quad and it will see input on a session with out the null option while PT will not. OYE!

If I import I/O setting from a session with the null 1 and 2 (and re-name the duplicate names something else I can get input. but they are selected the same way they were before the import and we know have double the names.

Template saving doesn't work, his account password has trouble.

I've asked him to try and resolve his username password thing and try to upgrade, but so far has been unsuccessful.

He is hating PT and I have been only uncovering more question I can't answer.

What's up with the NULL 1 and Null 2 is my first big question?

Have tried researching "input NULL 1" but only get the normal definition of null, nothing related to an actual Pro Tools input.

I love the DUC and it has saved my ass when I first started, so that's why I come to you.

Help!!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Input trouble NULL 1 and 2 ?

We need to know more info on your 'friends' computer. Windows, OSX, etc. What exact version of PT? What exact version of the UAD drivers?

Also what is this 'account password' thing whatever that is have to do with saving a template. Saving a template for what - PT, the UAD software?

QAPLA!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Was just mentioning the template thing in case there was a bug/fix that had happened to people before.

Pro Tools template.

his PT version is 11.1.2

his OS is 10.9.5
Old 05-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop View Post
Was just mentioning the template thing in case there was a bug/fix that had happened to people before.

Pro Tools template.

his PT version is 11.1.2

his OS is 10.9.5
Thanks for at least that much but how about the UAD drivers version?

QAPLA!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Raywatt here, friend with Apollo and Pro Tools Null 1&2 issues.
Thanks for response Musicman691.
The closest I can come to UAD driver version is going by my purchase date of system near 4/3/14
UAD Versions History and Releases has 7.4.2 for 1/23/14 and 7.4.3 for 2/3/14
Don't know when my Apollo Quad was manufactured or time from manufacture to shipping but my best guess is above versions are close as Apollo Quads were in high demand at time of purchase. Did not get though to UAD tec support as they close early on Fridays.
I have Avid password issue resolved and requested Avid to renew an expired Avid Support Code that I never used when purchasing......We'll see, Maybe?
Adding to Archtop's post:
The new PT settings show output in Mix window reading Mon L/R with the Null 1&2 there at input.
The old settings on previously recorded songs show output as A 1-2 and if sidebar opened says A 1-2 (Stereo) - > Mon L/R. with input reading Mic/Line/HZ 1 (Mono) continuing down with Mic/Line/HZ 2 (Mono) ect
Can not get input signal to PT on previous sessions as Archtop pointed out.

Have not used this PT/Apollo/Macbook system for some time. Archtop and I were trying to incorporate Adats using light pipes to create more input channels when the Null 1&2 appeared. Don't know if this occurrence is due to setting in PT we accidentally switched on or if related to updates needed.
Admittedly I am no whizz at understanding the inner workings of this system, I would just be happy getting back to recording and working on older material without the need for extensive input challenges!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:56 AM

Version history and release dates only mean something for the initial setup on your machine. I'm guessing your drivers were probably updated since then and that's what needs to be known. You should be able to get a driver version by clicking somewheres in the console s/w.

QAPLA!
Old 05-28-2016, 12:12 PM

I just looked in the UA Control Panel and found System Info: 7.7.1 5/1/14 build 7398 which is a little newer than what I speculated in original duc post. Scared to try to download 8.6 as don't know compatability.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raywatt View Post
I just looked in the UA Control Panel and found System Info: 7.7.1 5/1/14 build 7398 which is a little newer than what I speculated in original duc post. Scared to try to download 8.6 as don't know compatability.
Make a complete clone of your system with something like Carbon Copy Cloner to a separate hard drive and then try the new drivers (as always look at the UAD site for compatibility with your current operating system, etc.). If the new ones work then great and if not you have the clone to go back to.

It's always good to have a clone of a system because you'll never know when you might need it.

QAPLA!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:54 AM

Start by always checking what exactly the playback engine has decided to set itself to. Make sure it us the UAD device expected, not an aggregate device for example.

On each io page (input, output, bus) select all the items and click delete, then click default. If strange things show up then the IO definition file for that interface is likely corrupted (so then uninstall and reinstall the right interface driver and software).

Still having problems try trashing prefs, and try starting with a new empty session (not a copy, not from template)
Old 09-27-2016, 01:23 PM

I think it's normal to see NULL 1 and 2. Read the Apollo Software Manual, go to the section called "PT Mode." It says,

"PT Mode accommodates Pro Tools software I/O by inserting NULL (empty) values at Apollo inputs 1–2 so line input and output channel numbering within Pro Tools is aligned. The setting also optimizes Apollo’s I/O channels to accommodate the 32 I/O channels available in Pro Tools."

I see this on my Apollo inputs and I am experiencing no problems. I am new to Apollo, but everything seems to be functioning normally.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr