How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2011, 06:37 AM

Default Mac Keyboard stopped working

Hi,

I like to try and resolve problems myself however this has got me stumped! Not sure what has happened, it seems to have occurred when I reloaded the system last week. When I am using the import audio dialogue box certain keys on my keyboard seem to be assigned to PT functions, such as space bar = play/audition and not space bar = space.

This means that when I try and search my audio library I can't type in names as it doesn't work as a typewriter.

Any advice, it must be somthing simple but I just can't see it. I am quite new to PT and still finding my way around.

Many thanks,
Tom.
  • Macbook Pro 8,1 2.2Ghz Intel Quad Core i7, 16gb ram, os x 10.7.5
  • Pro-Tools 10.3 c/w CPTK2
  • Digidesign 003 factory
  • Focusrite Octopre
Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Mac Keyboard stopped working

Hi
if with «audio library» you mean «region list» then it could be the «Keyboard Focus» … little square (a-z) in the upper right corner?
check the PT reference guide p.30

best
Walter
Old 09-18-2011, 04:30 AM

Hi Walter,

Sorry didn't make myself clear. The Audio Library I refer to is the name of the hard drive in my mac that houses all my audio loops, samples, sfx etc not the region list.

What I am doing is trying to import some audio into the region list/project via file > import audio opening the Import Audio Dialogue Box. In the search box at the top I am trying to type in search words however certain keys such as 'S', 'P' and "SpaceBar' are linked to PT shortcuts; the space bar just plays the audition button instead of adding a space so I can type a second word, for example: if I want to search for an 'air blast' I start typing and all I get is 'airblat' as neither the S or Space Bar are not doing what they should.

I have tried the same function with the PT installation on my MacBook with both the laptop keyboard and the bluetooth one, everything worked as expected so I am assuming it is a setting/glitch in ProTools. I know the keyboard works fine as I can rename regions, add comments and save and create file names with the MacPro installation, it's just in this one dialogue box I'm having the problem.

As I say it was working fine until I managed to do a fatal error loosing my system files, so I reformatted my system drive and reloaded the whole lot. So essentially it is a fresh factory setting installation.

Any advice appreciated as I am having to search and audition in Finder then dragging the files into the region list, not the best workflow and intensely annoying.

Many thanks,
Tom
  • Digidesign 003 factory
  • Focusrite Octopre
Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Hi,

Sorry to bring this up again, but I am at my whits end. I have looked at keyboard focus in the reference manual and in os x, but just cannot work this out.

I have taken the drastic action of erasing the system drive and reloading os and PT, even bought a usb mac keyboard today and the problem still exists. Now I know it is something simple, nevertheless I just can't see what it is.

Something I have noticed is that in the File menu the "Quit Pro Tools" has the mac short cut of cmd + Q ? In the original installation when I first purchased PT this was greyed out, though now active.

As far as I know I have never changed any settings, it just happened one day. I would have thought however starting from afresh instal would put everything back to factory default. Just to try I even erased and reloaded my laptop to the same installation as my Mac Pro and everything works fine.

I can type text in every other dialogue box such as "Save As" all the other import boxes like midi or video I can type any letter into the search box with out a problem. I just can't type certain letters in this one search box.

Help dearly sought, it's really messing up my workflow.
  • Digidesign 003 factory
  • Focusrite Octopre
Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 AM

I have just updated my macbook from 9 to 9.05 and the problem has now appeared on this installation! I am now assuming that the problem lies with my update to 9.05.

Maybe Avid could give me some advice?

Should I instal the LE version that came with my 003, or am I correct in installing only the PT9 crossgrade then installing 9.05?

Many thanks for any solutions.

Tom
  • Digidesign 003 factory
  • Focusrite Octopre
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Just wanted to say thank you. This post helped me when the Keyboard shortcuts stopped working. Thanks!!!