Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 AM

Default Pro Tools crashes when launching virtual instruments on Macbook Pro

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have been working with pro tools (HD and LE) for the past 3 years. I hadn't had any problems until i recently installed Pro Tools 8 LE on my Macbook Pro (2009 13" 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.6.7). The problem is that as soon as I launch certain plug ins and virtual instruments (like Xpand, Boom, Bomb Factory Limiter etc.) Pro Tools freezes.

This happens in a new session with nothing else in the session at all. I have gone through all the troubleshooting and optimization steps, de/reinstalled Pro Tools, installed the plug in updater (I only have the plug ins installed that shipped with Pro Tools 8 LE) and all my hardware is Avid compatible (Macbook Pro, MBox2, Lacie FW800 External audio drive).

Is there anything I may have missed? I've gone through hours of other threads and haven't found anything that helped me further. Any info would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim
Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes when launching virtual instruments on Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimberlin View Post
Hi everyone!
I hadn't had any problems until i recently installed Pro Tools 8 LE on my Macbook Pro ... OS X 10.6.7).

Jim
OS X 10.6.7 needs 8.0.4 or higher. You didn't specify, are you on an earlier version?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 AM

Hi,

Sorry, my signature isn't showing for some reason, will check that. I'm running Pro Tools LE 8.0.5. I've read that some people have had bad install disks that causes the VIs (like Boom, Mini Grand, Xpand etc) to crash Pro Tools. The weird thing is that I installed from the same disk on my old G5 originally and the instruments were fine.

Apart from that, I can open large sessions with lots of plug ins (30+) with no problem. The only other thing is that certain text is missing like in the workspace window for example, I can only see the HDD icons and not their status (transfer, record and so on). I don't know if that's related but I have had font problems with other software since installing Snow Leopard.

I will get a colleagues install disk and try reinstalling the Creative Collection from there and let you know if that solves the problem.

Thanks a lot!

Jim
Old 06-24-2011, 03:49 AM

I found a solution to the problem. After reinstalling a few times with no luck and formatting my system drive and reinstalling Snow Leopard, I upgraded an old version of Office for mac to a new version. I then reinstalled pro tools and the virtual instruments worked finally. I have no idea why and I can't say with any certainty that Office was causing the problem but there you go.

Hope that might be of use to someone. Thanks again for the reply Bob.

Jim