Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Default Windows 8 Blue(leaks)-The Apology Release

Let's hope they give the desktop side of things the obvious before the official release:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-blue-leaks

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/vi...lue-build-9364

...and hopefully "official" W8 support by Avid soon.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Windows 8 Blue(leaks)-The Apology Release

Windows 8 -The windows that can't do windows!
As one usability expert put it "30 years of user interface design down the toilet"
Got to stop typing now, I've been holding my arms straight out in front of me for 8 hours to touch my screen and they hurt bad.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM

You get used to it and I am fine with normal Windows mode on my Win 8 machines
Thing is, Win 8 runs way quicker than Vista and then Win 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Windows 8 -The windows that can't do windows!
As one usability expert put it "30 years of user interface design down the toilet"
Got to stop typing now, I've been holding my arms straight out in front of me for 8 hours to touch my screen and they hurt bad.
Sonar X2a > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 32Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB >240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 8 Standard 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 8 > Korg Kaoss Pad > Emu E6400 Ultra > Yamaha Pro 1 > A whole bunch of softs as well but that would be too ridiculous to list
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyzno View Post
Thing is, Win 8 runs way quicker than Vista and then Win 7.
Amen!

And try Sonar for touch. Future.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM

I appreciate the performance improvements and boot times. I can understand wanting and needing to promote a unified end user experience regardless of device. Across all device types. However they are going to have huge issues getting Win8 adopted in the workplace for a variety of reasons. And end users shouldn't have be reduced to hacks to regain their usability.

There's a simple solution for this. If during the boot process the Hardware Abstraction Layer detects a digitizer it boots into the Modern UI. if no touch sensitive devices are detected it bots into the traditional Desktop mode. WHY they haven't adopted this approach is beyond me. It serves both usage mades equally well and promotes the Modern UI experience on the appropriate hardware.

As much as I want the performance enhancements of W8 the whole lack of choice is just as likely to drive me to a Mac.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
There's a simple solution for this. If during the boot process the Hardware Abstraction Layer detects a digitizer it boots into the Modern UI. if no touch sensitive devices are detected it bots into the traditional Desktop mode. WHY they haven't adopted this approach is beyond me. It serves both usage mades equally well and promotes the Modern UI experience on the appropriate hardware. .
Cause they want public to get awed by the new cheap touch sensitive laptops available. Get them used to the metro interface, while they totally do away with the conventional windows by say windows 11 ?

A default home screen boot to hardware available would prolly not motivate hardware makers to develop the touch interfaces that are coming common now, I think.

But its all moot. We would be recording 32 tracks, using an avid interface, at a 64 buffer on a phone in bout time now.

Sidhu
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

performance enhancements? such as...?

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the performance improvements and boot times. I can understand wanting and needing to promote a unified end user experience regardless of device. Across all device types. However they are going to have huge issues getting Win8 adopted in the workplace for a variety of reasons. And end users shouldn't have be reduced to hacks to regain their usability.

There's a simple solution for this. If during the boot process the Hardware Abstraction Layer detects a digitizer it boots into the Modern UI. if no touch sensitive devices are detected it bots into the traditional Desktop mode. WHY they haven't adopted this approach is beyond me. It serves both usage mades equally well and promotes the Modern UI experience on the appropriate hardware.

As much as I want the performance enhancements of W8 the whole lack of choice is just as likely to drive me to a Mac.
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:

+1 on HAL approach. Mac? nah i'll stay on W7 i7-3930k build adds to the appreciation of my W7/PT10 rig

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
performance enhancements? such as...?
There are incremental improvements in nearly every area. While I don't have a comprehensive list sitting in front of me quicker boot times and Storage Spaces come to mind. Definite improvements all over.

I really don't see me from upgrading from Win7 any time in the future. We will see. Official PT support might change my mind if it leveraged some Win8 only feature.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88