How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Default fader go back to zero db

hi,

i've got a weird problem, seems that every change in a fader levels i'm trying to do on the mixer is ignored, because the fader is going back to 0 db each time.
this happens only when i'm hitting the space bar to play the track. meaning i can change the fader's level, but it will go back to 0 db the second i will hit play. this occurs on all faders, including the master.

is this some kind of an option in pro tools that i turned on by mistake ? how can i avoid this ?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM

Default Re: fader go back to zero db

automation?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
automation?

the automation mode is on "auto read" on all tracks , if that's what you mean.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplatner View Post
the automation mode is on "auto read" on all tracks , if that's what you mean.
Go to "volume" on the track view menu and delete any breakpoints along the black line (little white dots).
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM

What he means is you likely have automation written and that is pulling the fader back to -0. You can set automation to OFF, or set it to Touch, grab the fader and make your adjustment during playback, or view volume in the edit window on the track in question, and grab the line with the mouse(or use the hand tool, drop break points and adjust as needed). Remember; in digital, there's usually several ways to make something happen

might be worth a trip to youtube and search for some videos on Pro Tools automation

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM

You could also use this option and set the fader on touch, latch, or write, instead of read. Write will wipe out your fader automation and replace it with new fader moves. Touch is great for fixing fader moves. I often automate using the edit window set to view volume automation in Touch mode and do like everyone else said but if you like the fader then use that. Also Latch allows you to take your hand of the mouse and it will write a flat line as the song is playing with out overwriting what's ahead and what's before your start point. Remember to press Alt when you select a mode so all your faders will go there. You can fix all your faders in one bang if you select "All" in the left track group view(bottom half). This will cause all faders to group together. You can also create groups by selecting a few channels and create a group from that. those faders will sync up. It can be a lot of fun. Pro Tools is also pretty good at keeping the clutter down with their track view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplatner View Post
hi,

i've got a weird problem, seems that every change in a fader levels i'm trying to do on the mixer is ignored, because the fader is going back to 0 db each time.
this happens only when i'm hitting the space bar to play the track. meaning i can change the fader's level, but it will go back to 0 db the second i will hit play. this occurs on all faders, including the master.

is this some kind of an option in pro tools that i turned on by mistake ? how can i avoid this ?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Guess I'm lazy today, but man it's hot.
I've got condesation on my plugin knobs
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Hi!

Same prob, also familiar with the automation features. I have no automation placed anywhere. Fader jumps to -8.5dB randomly after playing a while. In fact if I do make an automation for the volume to stay lets say +6dB is jumps back to -8.5dB no matter what? pretttyyy annoying. Pro tools 10.3.3. Osx.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:14 AM

ok... it seem to sort out with a good old reboot. Been a fairly long time PT user and some weird stuff can happen.. but i guess there is always some new weird stuff coming up. :)