How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2021, 08:46 AM

Default Carbon and MacMini intel!

Hello there,
I've been working with Carbon and my 2012 MacBook pro for a few months now (macOS 10.15.7, 16RAM, 2 TB). In general, I can tell you that it has been "sufficient" but not optimal. As expected, when more plug-ins I use, artifacts or pops appear. So far I have been able to go ahead by disabling some heavy tracks, but it is not the idea. Carbon is a very powerful machine, but it needs a good cpu / ram to handle the DAW. So the time has come!

I am looking at new equipment and as many have mentioned around here, it seems to me that this is not the time to move to the M1 chip. So I have ruled it out. So I want to ask you about this equipment, does anyone have a reference?

Mac Mini:

3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630
1TB SSD storage
Gigabit Ethernet

(https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/m...ics-630-512gb#)

It appears in the compatibility list, but I need to know closer references.

Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2021, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Carbon and MacMini intel!

...or maybe a better question is what equipment do you recommend to work with PT ultimate + Carbon, within US $ 2000.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotronik View Post
...or maybe a better question is what equipment do you recommend to work with PT ultimate + Carbon, within US $ 2000.
If you don't want to use an M1 machine, either because of plug-in compatibility, or control-surface compatibility, then an Intel Mac Mini is a much better idea than an Intel Mac laptop.

Depending on how many Virtual Instruments you use, then 16GB of RAM may be too small - your 9 year-old machine has 16GB - it makes sense that you might need more now. The Intel Mac Mini RAM can be user-upgraded - if you are comfortable taking it apart yourself. This will be cheaper than buying Apple RAM.

The i7 is a good choice - better than i5 for Pro Tools, and a big internal disk is always my choice - backup sessions afterwards.

The only problem with the Intel Mini is some restrictions on running really large screens - especially 32:9 ratio. If you just want 1 or 2 normal screens, it should be fine. Also, the integrated graphics isn't very good, so not suitable for video work. The integrated GPU takes some of the RAM to run screens - another reason that 16GB may not be enough.

The current M1 machines are much faster - but limited to 16GB RAM, and with some compatibility problems.

I cannot tell you personally that the Mac Mini will work for you, because I have a Mac Pro. But I do know that an Intel Mac laptop (especially with an external screen) isn't a very good idea for studio work.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:17 PM

I've been testing 2018 mac minis these past 12 months. Lots of extra time due to the pandemic: i3, i5, 17, and M1. All tested with latest PT and varying amounts of RAM.
My observations:
• ALL these minis have the well-known bluetooth problem. If bluetooth matters to you, then stay away. It's a design flaw w/all the 2018 minis.
• The turbo boost you mention makes the i7 roar like a 747. So unless you can have it locked away, it can not be used in a studio. I have Turbo Boost Switcher turn it off most of the time, but it's still a very powerful machine, and silent. (I loose about 10-20% cpu power). The i3 and i5 are fine with fan noise.
• 8gb ram is way too little on the intels. 16 is OK, and 32 is plenty. I had just 8 on the M1, it worked fine w/PT, but it seemed cramped.
• The M1 is very powerful. And it doesn't get hot! But you lose some abilities when you don't have intel cpu, some software won't work, and I found nothing in Big Sur that I really liked or needed.

So, I've ended up with the mac in my signature, and I'm prepared to wait a year or two for apple scilicon/OS to mature, and software like PT to catch up.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post

So, I've ended up with the mac in my signature, and I'm prepared to wait a year or two for apple scilicon/OS to mature, and software like PT to catch up.
Yes, I think there is no other way. Intel and M1 have too many considerations.
But I think the most important thing about M1 is that PT is not yet able to work natively. And it can present small problems with Carbon.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
If you don't want to use an M1 machine, either because of plug-in compatibility, or control-surface compatibility, then an Intel Mac Mini is a much better idea than an Intel Mac laptop.

Depending on how many Virtual Instruments you use, then 16GB of RAM may be too small - your 9 year-old machine has 16GB - it makes sense that you might need more now. The Intel Mac Mini RAM can be user-upgraded - if you are comfortable taking it apart yourself. This will be cheaper than buying Apple RAM.

The i7 is a good choice - better than i5 for Pro Tools, and a big internal disk is always my choice - backup sessions afterwards.

The only problem with the Intel Mini is some restrictions on running really large screens - especially 32:9 ratio. If you just want 1 or 2 normal screens, it should be fine. Also, the integrated graphics isn't very good, so not suitable for video work. The integrated GPU takes some of the RAM to run screens - another reason that 16GB may not be enough.

The current M1 machines are much faster - but limited to 16GB RAM, and with some compatibility problems.

I cannot tell you personally that the Mac Mini will work for you, because I have a Mac Pro. But I do know that an Intel Mac laptop (especially with an external screen) isn't a very good idea for studio work.

Thank you very much, I think the smart thing to do is to wait for some new developments.