Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Default Installing Lion from MB pro to Mac Pro...

Scenario: I´m on SL 10.6.8 on my Mac Pro. Having problems within protools, but general problems with OS X as well; Kernel panics etc. Orginal SL dvd missing. Have bought Lion via app store, but didn´t install. Now Lion is withdrawn from appstore.

Installing from my Macbook Pro with Lion 107.5 via the command + R option, having my Mac Pro in target disk mode, seems quite dangerous.

ML is not an option since I´m on an unsupported Mac Pro (late 2008 harpertown)

Any opinions is appreciated!

arvid in stockholm
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Lightbulb Re: Installing Lion from MB pro to Mac Pro...

Put your MBP in Target Disk Mode, boot your Mac Pro from the MBP, and use Carbon Copy Cloner to get the OS from your MBP onto your Mac Pro.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Installing Lion from MB pro to Mac Pro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Put your MBP in Target Disk Mode, boot your Mac Pro from the MBP, and use Carbon Copy Cloner to get the OS from your MBP onto your Mac Pro.
So, I´m repeating just to be sure, I put my MBP in target disk mode, and from my Mac Pro I make a CCC-copy of the harddrive of the MBP? And how do I proceed with the installation or copy process?

I´m buying a ssd drive tomorrow to make a new internal drive on the Mac Pro with this installation.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM

If you are having system problems with the Mac Pro, start by running Cocktail and Disk Warrior on the system disk. If it repairs some things, see how that gets on.

The next step is to clone your disk with Super Duper, then reinstall 10.6.8.

You can buy an SL disk from Apple (I realize you are in Sweden, but maybe there is a Euro-Apple?).

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...6-snow-leopard

Personally I would do ALL that BEFORE I went to LION.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
You can buy an SL disk from Apple (I realize you are in Sweden, but maybe there is a Euro-Apple?).
Thanks Minister Of Fancy Noises! Yes, but 3 weeks delivery time for the SL disc.

Quote:
If you are having system problems with the Mac Pro, start by running Cocktail and Disk Warrior on the system disk. If it repairs some things, see how that gets on.
Will do that.

Quote:
Personally I would do ALL that BEFORE I went to LION.
My (music/logic)colleagues have been warning me about Lion, but actually PT works great on my MBP with Lion. But on the other hand, Pro Tools has always been more stable on my laptops than on my main desktop computers, I´v never had a single crash with PT on a laptop.

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Lightbulb Re: Installing Lion from MB pro to Mac Pro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid.lind View Post
So, I´m repeating just to be sure, I put my MBP in target disk mode, and from my Mac Pro I make a CCC-copy of the harddrive of the MBP?
Yes.
Quote:
And how do I proceed with the installation or copy process?
Installation or copy process of what? The CCC process will clone your MBP to your Mac Pro. Unless you have additional data or software that you need on the Mac Pro that is not on the MBP, you will be all set once CCC is finished.

Quote:
I´m buying a ssd drive tomorrow to make a new internal drive on the Mac Pro with this installation.
In that case, use CCC to clone the MBP to your SSD.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM

I run routine maintenance (like once a month) on my computers which consists of :

Zapping P-ram -- I am told the need for this did not stop in OS9 -- restart computer and hold Cmd-Option-P-R, let the startup chime go at least 3 times.

I run Cocktail to repair disk permissions, run cron scripts, clear caches.

Disk Warrior on all drives including system -- for the last one you have to boot from the disc itself. If the report comes up red, replace and run again until green. No need to save the report.

There are other utilities to do this, but those are the ones I use. Besides, Cocktail is made by a Swede!

Try all that FIRST.

Maybe you can borrow copies of Disk Warrior and Snow Leopard??
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 PM

not positive, but the mac pro and MBP are not the same systems so cloning won't work. different libraries based on hardware dependencies.

you can only install same or higher OS's when using target disk. going to lower versions doesn't work.

apple isn't to crazy about sharing OS versions with friends. they have been more concerned about getting people on the latest versions. if you know anyone that also has a mac computer ask if they have a copy of SL.

lion works well on most computers, ML not so well.

SL is very stable though so best to try and do a reinstall of that. I usually wipe my macs once a year and do a fresh reinstall. its crazy how fast they get after the reload.

if you're concerned about data, for sure, run the pro in target and get a clone of it with CCC.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Yes.

Installation or copy process of what? The CCC process will clone your MBP to your Mac Pro. Unless you have additional data or software that you need on the Mac Pro that is not on the MBP, you will be all set once CCC is finished.

In that case, use CCC to clone the MBP to your SSD.
OK, thanks Chief! Still reluctant whether to install SL or Lion, but if I go Lion I´ll install on a separate drive.

Quote:
I run routine maintenance (like once a month) on my computers which consists of :

Zapping P-ram -- I am told the need for this did not stop in OS9 -- restart computer and hold Cmd-Option-P-R, let the startup chime go at least 3 times.

Disk Warrior on all drives including system -- for the last one you have to boot from the disc itself. If the report comes up red, replace and run again until green. No need to save the report.
Thanks, I´m familiar with the PRAM-zapping, but hadn´t heard of cocktail. Have been trying to aviod these disk repair applications since I ran into one that caused more problems than it solved.Don´t recall the name. But I´m trying Cocktail now, see if it will make my system healthy again.

Since I often use my (home) MBP to clean up OMF´s and record finished mixes to track, I´m thinking that it would be wise to have the same OS X on both computers. Too much travel beteween two OS X versions might corrupt my sessions.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Arvid d;-)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:

There are other utilities to do this, but those are the ones I use. Besides, Cocktail is made by a Swede!
Cocktail seens to have fixed my problems for now. Seems like a great application! Thank you Sweden, and Minneapolis!