Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Importing Session Data

Hello all,

I have tracks that have automation on them and I want to bring in the eq, compression, volume, etc. from another session without pulling in and replacing the automation that exists on the destination tracks. Is there a way to do this without replacing the existing automation.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 10-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Importing Session Data

Yes, turn off "Automation follows edit" during editing.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the reply PT. Unfortunately that did not do it. I just read the manual and it says;

"Volume Automation and Setting Imports the source track’s Volume fader setting and any automation
data on the track’s Volume Automation playlist. The Volume fader setting and any Volume automation data in the destination track are replaced."

It would be nice if digi separated the volume "from" the automation setting when importing session data so it would not be replaced in the destination track.

But thanks anyway. I do appreciate the reply.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 10-20-2007, 10:54 PM

Try this:

Import your “source” track, minus media, paths, labels, etc. as a new track (i.e. don’t assign the import to any existing tracks).
Once in your session, you can pick and choose which type of data to use (via copy and paste) with greater versatility than what importing session data currently affords.

To retain existing automation, but “add” volume data from the imported track… copy volume automation from the source track, and paste that onto the “Volume Trim” automation of the destination. Most likely, you will have to trim the entire copy/paste region, with the trim tool, to fit the situation. Coalesce when done.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 AM

I keep my basic mix settings at the end of the session. After importing everything into another session, I go to the end of that session and "write to all" to overwrite any existing automation.

On D-Command I use the capture/punch function to save mixer settings which you can import into other sessions.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Now those sound like a good work arounds. I will try that. You guys are awesome.

I appreciate it.

Keith