Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Finder functionality in Open Dialogs

Why do finder windows operating in ProTools (Open, New) not behave the way they do normally in the Finder? The one thing that's really annoying is that double-clicking the little '' gadget at the bottom of the speration bars doesn't automatically resize the pane to fit the text inside of it.

AB
Old 06-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Finder functionality in Open Dialogs

OS X has two kinds of application languages: Cocoa & Carbon.

I have yet to see a carbon that does what you want it to - cocoa on the other hand does....

PT is a carbon Application
Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 PM

What drives me nuts is that little triangle behaves backwards in PT.

In the Finder, when the triangle points down (in date modified view) you're looking at most recent files. In Pro Tools dialogs when the triangle points down (in date modified view) you're looking at oldest ones.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Now that's good to know. OK, Digi, time to port to Cocoa
Old 06-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
...double-clicking the little '' gadget at the bottom of the speration bars doesn't automatically resize the pane to fit the text inside of it.
Ooh, thanks for the Finder tip! I've always dragged them!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
What drives me nuts is that little triangle behaves backwards in PT.

In the Finder, when the triangle points down (in date modified view) you're looking at most recent files. In Pro Tools dialogs when the triangle points down (in date modified view) you're looking at oldest ones.
Agreed. What Pro Tools Open and Import dialog boxes also don't do that the Finder and most other programs do, is remember the way you last viewed the order of the files, such as by earliest date descending. It always reverts to listing by name. Frustrating, confusing, and a needless extra step.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 AM

Oh yeah - one other PT / Finder annoyance: If you double click on an audio file made in Pro Tools, Pro Tools will automatically take charge and go through the entire long app launch process, only to eventually let you know that it isn't a valid Pro Tools session file (and can't open it) once it finished loading the app.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM

I pay almost no attention to the Finder functionality in Open and Save dialogs since I started using Default Folder from St. Clair software (http://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/) For example, the order of files in a folder becomes almost irrelevant when you have a button that displays recently opened files and folders stuck to the side of the Open or Save dialog box.

P.S. No I don't work for them.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 10-31-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
Agreed. What Pro Tools Open and Import dialog boxes also don't do that the Finder and most other programs do, is remember the way you last viewed the order of the files, such as by earliest date descending. It always reverts to listing by name. Frustrating, confusing, and a needless extra step.

Anyone know if this behavior is addressed with PT7 under Leopard or PT8?

I am opening a lot of different sessions every day, and it is really bugging me.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 PM

On a similar note, the "Open File" dialogue will show the file date, but not the time, as the finder does.

If you ever need to open an "Auto-Save" backup session, you can't tell which is the most recent, especially once the backup numbers wrap around. So you'll see 20 files labeled "TODAY", but have no idea which is the most recent without navigating to that folder via the Finder.

Ray