Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-08-2020, 06:58 PM

Default Is there a way to speed the tempo of a project?

I have a project where everything is recorded at 99 BPM. I would like to have the song play at 102 or 103 BPM. In Ableton this is a simple thing as Ableton can stretch everything in a project when the tempo is changed.

Is there a way to do this in Pro Tools? It seems to me that stretching all tracks in the mixing stage would yield better results that stretching the stereo mix.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

James
My latest song Ultraviolet
Old 12-08-2020, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to speed the tempo of a project?

Use Elastic Audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
I have a project where everything is recorded at 99 BPM. I would like to have the song play at 102 or 103 BPM. In Ableton this is a simple thing as Ableton can stretch everything in a project when the tempo is changed.

Is there a way to do this in Pro Tools?
You can do it with Elastic Audio, but you'll lose some quality even with XFORM. I've done it plenty of times though. I wouldn't use it on drums - elastic audio kills the attack. What I do is to split up the entire drum track using Beat Detective, make the tempo change (with all tracks set to Tick base) and then apply crossfades. Best if you listen to the entire track carefully afterwards to make sure everything sounds ok - sometimes you may need to adjust some of the edits and crossfades.

Quote:
It seems to me that stretching all tracks in the mixing stage would yield better results that stretching the stereo mix.
Typically yes it's better to apply it to the individual tracks, though it takes longer when applying XFORM. Make sure you keep a backup of the original song.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-09-2020, 04:49 AM

Thanks guys - I am not familiar with Elastic Audio or XForm so I'll go research those.

The good news is I still have the original midi for the drums so I can just re-render them at the new tempo. Thanks for the warning on this!

Hear my latest song Ultraviolet
Old 12-09-2020, 05:18 AM

Elastic Audio is bult in. X-form costs money - it's an extra algoritm for EA. Easiest way: Set all tracks to tick-based (midi tracks already are tickbased, audiotracks are sample based.) Then when you change the bpm of the session, EA will stretch or compress the audio.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:22 AM

X-Form is part of Elastic Audio. It’s one of the four algorithms. Only the Audiosuite plugin requires a purchase, but you don’t require that.

EA X-Form requires rendering so if you alter the length of a clip, it will need to redo the render again. This isn’t the case with the others. Something to keep in mind.

Also, play with the other algorithms. Contrary to most people’s opinions, I don’t find X-Form to be the best. Too much smearing and a somewhat chorusy sound. I prefer Polyphonic, but it does require finessing. I typically go in and lower the detection of transients and remove them on any sustained portions. That in combination with tweaking the algorithm settings yields (to me) the best results.

Also, because you’re going up in tempo, you’ll get better results. It’s removing time rather than adding it. Also, it’s quite a small change in tempo. I bet with a bit of fine tuning, you’ll get a very good result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2020, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the additional info!

I will get a chance to experiment with this over the weekend. :)

Old 12-10-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I have a project where everything is recorded at 99 BPM. I would like to have the song play at 102 or 103 BPM.

Is there a way to do this in Pro Tools?

My latest song Ultraviolet
I see you prefer to do this in Pro Tools. So, excuse me for asking a question that strays outside of the fence...

Have you thought of re-recording the tune at the preferred tempo...?

Seems much better to me than living with a reduction in quality. Years from now, when you play the "stretched" track back, you will always hear the weakness of the conversion.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:01 PM

I appreciate this question. I could probably go back to source instruments that are VSTs and re-render, but re-recording the analog stuff is not an option. With all the processing I've done to things at stages before this mixing stage - I just don't think it's practical.

Turns out X-Form is part of my subscription so I'm going to experiment with that. :)

Old 12-10-2020, 04:22 PM

X-form is a viable option, but for the small change you are going for, I have had very good results using The appropriate algorithm per track(in Ticks mode) and just changing the tempo. Also, UNDO is your friend here, so listen to the results before you commit. If you can't maintain the sound quality, you could download the free demo of Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro(use in Audiosuite format) as that plugin does this function better than anything else I have tried(but its pricey to buy)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave