Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 AM

Default Drum plug-in (yet another thread..!)

Hi, everyone!
I've spent all day reading threads from the DUC, but I still have to point my own questions about drum plug-ins.

As of today, I've been using the bundled BFD lite (v. 1.5, I think). I find especially the cymbals to be data-sounding, and I struggle to get good-sounding drum tracks without machine-gun-like rides or snares. Often, I need the drum plug-in to be able to play softer styles, and I feel like using endless amount of time tweaking and turning. Normally, I am able to get a sound I like when using some of BFD's drums together with Xpand samples and maybe some real drums I record (if I have the ability).

A couple of style examples:
Coldplay - Sparks (Parachutes)
John Mayer - Not Myself (Room for Squares)

I have read reviews and watched videos about Strike, EZ Drummer and Addictive Drums, and I have my list of likes and dislikes on the three. However, the demo videos often focus on mid to hard styles. Does anybody know how these three apply to softer styles?

I sometimes also use percussion (tambourine, congas etc.). Mostly, I can find what I want in Xpand, but it takes time. I guess that would be a pro for EZ's Latin Percussion expansion pack, though it might provide quite a lot more than I need.

Appreciate your help!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Drum plug-in (yet another thread..!)

Checking out both of those, I think your best bet would be either of 2 options, both from Toontrack.

The cheaper one would be EZ Drummer, with the Nashville expansion kit. The nashville one is great for this type of music. In the "sparks" song, I'm pretty sure the drummer is playing with brushes, and the Nashville kit has some great samples of a kit with brushes.

The other option would be the higher quality version of both of those, which is Superior Drummer, with the Music City Expansion kit.

The EZ drummer and expansion packs are "lite" versions of Superior Drummer and it's expansion packs. 16 bit as opposed to 24 bit, with less kit pieces and velocities/articulations, but still sound great. With Superior Drummer and Music City, you're getting the best quality and versatility, plus expansion packs that aren't available for EZ Drummer (whereas all the EZ Drummer expansion packs will work in Superior Drummer).

This company puts there stuff on sale every month or 2, alternating. For October, you can buy EZ Drummer on sale for $99, plus get a free Expansion pack (which can be the Nashville one).

If you want the others, they usually put Superior Drummer on half price ($149) and then possibly another month the SD expansion packs half price ($75). However, because Music City is new, they've not been featuring that at half price, so it may be a while.

Though Nashville and Music City were recorded in Nashville, don't think that they're just limited to Country. They are very versatile.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for reply!

"This company" – as in Toontrack? I can't find the $99 price, have you got a link?

I forgot to mention it in my first post: I do not have too much money (as a few others here, I guess), and though it's not the most important criteria, I appreciate it if I don't have to eat bread and drink water next month.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Right here:

http://www.audiomidi.com/cust_search...mer-P7965.aspx

And just check the box of the expansion pack you want (Nashville is the 1st one).

Keep in mind you also get some drum kits with the EZ Drummer program itself, besides the expansion pack.

I've done business with these guys and they're great.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 PM

audioMIDI.com runs sales on Toontrack items frequently.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Thankyou very much!

Are there any users of Strike here who could have lived without the Velocity and Complexity "mod sliders"?