Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2022, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Drum VI recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My 2 cents, but I think Strike got passed by many years ago. EZDrummer2 and Addictive Drums 2 are both really good, and both quite easy to build performances with(BTW, Toontrack just announced EZDrummer3). Superior Drummer 3 takes it to a whole other level. Not only does it do everything EZDrummer does(and then some), it can play all the EZX kits and can act as one of the best drum replacement tools available(sorry Slate and Drumagog) Well worth the extra money if your budget allows
Yes! It's a much cheaper way of adding some new drum sounds to SD3. Of course they are pre-produced libraries, but it's also nice not having to download 300GBs for a SDX

For those who don't know an EZX is an EZdrummer expansion (ie drum library), and a SDX is a Superior Drummer expansion.

SD can use EZX packs.

EZX packs go on sale all the time, SDX, at least the new ones, not very often.

BTW, if anyone wants the Dream Pop EZX it's on-sale this weekend for $34 at Best Service.

SD3 is my go-to. But I have and like all the other plugins I mentioned. Always nice to have options and different ways to work.

But if the OP can only get ONE? SD3 will cover everything, and you can add some cheap EZXs for more electronic sounds if you need them. Just be sure you have the disk space, cause SD3 is HUGE - over 230GBs.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-08-2022, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I was looking around last night and ran across UJAM Solid 2 on the Plugin Boutique website. It was only $30, it's M1 compatible, and it seems similar to Strike in some ways, so I thought, what the heck. So far, it's working fine and seems to fit the bill for something quick and easy.

I was thinking about EZDrummer, but once I watched a couple of videos for Superior Drummer 3, that idea went out the window. I have been listening to George Massenburg's work since I was a teenager, and I've known him for ages - we were both moderators over on Musicplayer.com back in the mid aughts. I've learned a tremendous amount from talking with George and I have the utmost respect for him; knowing he was involved and recorded the audio files speaks very highly for SD3, so I think I'm going to save up for a month or two and get that as well. It's six hundred dollars for the software license and SSD, but it sounds like it's well worth it for all that it does.

Quick follow-up question for those of you who use SD3 - if you also get the SSD, can you run SD3 straight off of that, or do you have to copy it over to a different drive? It sounds like you can run it off the SSD from what I'm seeing on the Toopntrack website, but I want to make sure.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I was looking around last night and ran across UJAM Solid 2 on the Plugin Boutique website. It was only $30, it's M1 compatible, and it seems similar to Strike in some ways, so I thought, what the heck. So far, it's working fine and seems to fit the bill for something quick and easy.

I was thinking about EZDrummer, but once I watched a couple of videos for Superior Drummer 3, that idea went out the window. I have been listening to George Massenburg's work since I was a teenager, and I've known him for ages - we were both moderators over on Musicplayer.com back in the mid aughts. I've learned a tremendous amount from talking with George and I have the utmost respect for him; knowing he was involved and recorded the audio files speaks very highly for SD3, so I think I'm going to save up for a month or two and get that as well. It's six hundred dollars for the software license and SSD, but it sounds like it's well worth it for all that it does.

Quick follow-up question for those of you who use SD3 - if you also get the SSD, can you run SD3 straight off of that, or do you have to copy it over to a different drive? It sounds like you can run it off the SSD from what I'm seeing on the Toontrack website, but I want to make sure.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!
I would think of the ssd you get as an insurance backup copy that you install from and save for when things go south. You do keep insurance backups/clones of your system and s/w right?

QAPLA!
Old 04-09-2022, 07:23 AM

Yes, of course I do. I generally keep three copies. But if all their SSD is good for is as an installer, I’d want yet another copy, meaning I’d need another additional drive, which is why I was asking. I guess it really is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Buying it on an (imo) overpriced SSD (I can get larger and faster drives for less than they’re charging) really only benefits me by saving me D/L time.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
Yes, of course I do. I generally keep three copies. But if all their SSD is good for is as an installer, I’d want yet another copy, meaning I’d need another additional drive, which is why I was asking. I guess it really is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Buying it on an (imo) overpriced SSD (I can get larger and faster drives for less than they’re charging) really only benefits me by saving me D/L time.
The SSD has the CORE library ready-to-go. This is really for those who have capped or slow internet and it would take someone two weeks to download.

Unless that is your situation, I would recommend against getting the SSD.

You can get a 2TB Samsung SSD, which generally perform very well for $199. And you can install the 230GB CORE library on that, plus any EZX and SDX you buy over the years. As well as other sample libraries for Kontakt etc...

You can always re-download the library from your account whenever you need. If you want to keep a copy on hand, I recommend an external WD 12TB Elements USB drive. You can get these for $179 and 12TB is more than enough backup space for most people. Plug it in when you need to backup, and unplug it when you don't need it.

And all of your downloads and authorizations are handled in the Toontrack Product Manager, which works well.

You also have the option of buying EZdrummer for now, and crossgrade for less to SD3 when you want to. This is probably not the best way to go right now since EZ3 is dropping. But last year or so they were having deals on EZ2 and deals on crossgrading to SD3 - so you could get SD3 for less than $399 by going that route.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-09-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

You also have the option of buying EZdrummer for now, and crossgrade for less to SD3 when you want to. This is probably not the best way to go right now since EZ3 is dropping. But last year or so they were having deals on EZ2 and deals on crossgrading to SD3 - so you could get SD3 for less than $399 by going that route.
But not much less if you pay full boat for EZ2/3. Just wish they'd have a sale on SD3.

QAPLA!
Old 04-09-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
The SSD has the CORE library ready-to-go. This is really for those who have capped or slow internet and it would take someone two weeks to download.

Unless that is your situation, I would recommend against getting the SSD.

You can get a 2TB Samsung SSD, which generally perform very well for $199. And you can install the 230GB CORE library on that, plus any EZX and SDX you buy over the years. As well as other sample libraries for Kontakt etc...

You can always re-download the library from your account whenever you need. If you want to keep a copy on hand, I recommend an external WD 12TB Elements USB drive. You can get these for $179 and 12TB is more than enough backup space for most people. Plug it in when you need to backup, and unplug it when you don't need it.

And all of your downloads and authorizations are handled in the Toontrack Product Manager, which works well.

The thing is you don’t need to download the whole 230GB core library unless you REALLY need surround and height mics. Even if you did, running all the mic positions is ridiculously demanding of CPU and disk throughput, even with the fastest of systems.

Also the room (Galaxy Studios) is VERY roomy. It really is a very big room, too big IMO. You can’t fault the quality but you need to really like a lot of room.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:44 PM

If you are just getting started with ToonTracks drum VIs, I'd suggest just jumping in with EZ Drummer 2 and see how it goes, take the free upgrade to 3 when it comes out. Easy quick to get started.

And to add to something Benoni said, Toontrack Product Manager which downloads the libraries and helps keep things up to date is one of the best such products, just so very well done. (I would not trust Avid Link to manage my updates for example).
Old 04-09-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
The thing is you don’t need to download the whole 230GB core library unless you REALLY need surround and height mics. Even if you did, running all the mic positions is ridiculously demanding of CPU and disk throughput, even with the fastest of systems.

Also the room (Galaxy Studios) is VERY roomy. It really is a very big room, too big IMO. You can’t fault the quality but you need to really like a lot of room.
Even with the close mics? It doesn't have to be 'roomy' as you put it if you don't use their mixer presets and all the extra surround mics.

QAPLA!
Old 04-10-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But not much less if you pay full boat for EZ2/3. Just wish they'd have a sale on SD3.
Yes, I doubt we will see a sale an EZ anytime soon. I got lucky with a great sale on EZ and a sale on the upgrade to SD3.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio