Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-21-2022, 10:02 AM

Default BEWARE: SSL is abandoning their plugins. Again.

It happened when they went from RTAS to AAX, and it's happening again with Monterey. SSL's original Duende plugins (and some of the newer "v6" versions) will not load in Monterey.

I contacted tech support about the issue, asking how I can open the several hundred sessions which have Duende in them, and their answer was 'Duende has some 32-bit elements and they won't operate in Monterey and there's no way to transfer setting to other plugins.' Then they closed the case without offering any kind of assistance for the remaining issue.

Of the few hundred other plugins I have, *all* (with only a couple exceptions) made the transfer to Monterey just fine. And of the remaining problematic plugins, they know the fix and simply need to make it.

As they did with hardware Duende-->Software Duende, and RTAS-->AAX, SSL is once again leaving their paying customers in the dark.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:24 AM

Default Re: BEWARE: SSL is abandoning their plugins. Again.

Compatibility going forward is a big dealt to me. These days I generally stick with the main plugin vendors and avoid any niche products.

I've lost a few plugins along the way. mainly from TDM to RTAS and then RAS to AAX but to be honest there are generally plenty of better replacements. It is just I'd rather see Sessions open up as they were saved a year, five or ten years ago.

No one likes WUP but to be fair, Waves still support the Q10 after well over 25 years of being in the market

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-22-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Compatibility going forward is a big dealt to me. These days I generally stick with the main plugin vendors and avoid any niche products.

I've lost a few plugins along the way. mainly from TDM to RTAS and then RAS to AAX but to be honest there are generally plenty of better replacements. It is just I'd rather see Sessions open up as they were saved a year, five or ten years ago.

No one likes WUP but to be fair, Waves still support the Q10 after well over 25 years of being in the market

Stephen
Forward-looking compatibility is precisely what I'm aiming for. And you can't use better replacements for old sessions, unless you're going to open all of those old sessions, make the plugin swaps, then file them away again. We're reliant upon these companies (and SSL is one of the larger -- certainly not niche) to maintain a timeline as OSes change. RE: better replacements, yes, of course, we all stay on the lookout for latest/greatest. This isn't one of those topics.

As an update, SSL has stepped up and they are putting in the effort to examine this issue. That's all I can say for the moment, but at least they're trying and the initial absence of that was the part that stung.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:32 AM

I don't believe SSL is abandoning thier plugins especially since their making new plugin and have a new control surface for their channel strip and bus compressor.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:06 AM

I was under the impression Duende was already dead. They would not work on Catalina either right?

Do they all have replacement "SSL Native" versions now? Seems like it. I know you don't want to (nor should you have to) buy the new versions. But that's a shame if they have no way of migrating older sessions to the new plugins. Please update if they provide a solution.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
I don't believe SSL is abandoning thier plugins especially since their making new plugin and have a new control surface for their channel strip and bus compressor.
I suspect that you read the title but not the body of the post.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I was under the impression Duende was already dead. They would not work on Catalina either right?
All iterations of Duende plugins worked great up to and including Big Sur. It's only when switching to Monterey that the original plugins will not load. This is understandable, but so far we're not finding a way to migrate those parameters into new Duende plugins, making them dead in the water. That's about 1,000 individual plugin instances for our company that cannot be accessed, currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Do they all have replacement "SSL Native" versions now? Seems like it. I know you don't want to (nor should you have to) buy the new versions. But that's a shame if they have no way of migrating older sessions to the new plugins. Please update if they provide a solution.
They have built new versions of Duende (what's called "2" operates fine, but the slightly older "v6" versions are spotty -- some open and others do not), and these are free to existing customers (so this is good news), but as mentioned above there's no way, currently, to transfer parameters from older plugs to newer, operable plugs.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:13 PM

I stopped using their products ages ago just because of this attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It happened when they went from RTAS to AAX, and it's happening again with Monterey. SSL's original Duende plugins (and some of the newer "v6" versions) will not load in Monterey.

I contacted tech support about the issue, asking how I can open the several hundred sessions which have Duende in them, and their answer was 'Duende has some 32-bit elements and they won't operate in Monterey and there's no way to transfer setting to other plugins.' Then they closed the case without offering any kind of assistance for the remaining issue.

Of the few hundred other plugins I have, *all* (with only a couple exceptions) made the transfer to Monterey just fine. And of the remaining problematic plugins, they know the fix and simply need to make it.

As they did with hardware Duende-->Software Duende, and RTAS-->AAX, SSL is once again leaving their paying customers in the dark.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
I stopped using their products ages ago just because of this attitude.
I do have to give credit to the guy at SSL who's putting some time and energy into this situation. The tech support guy was awful, and if he was indicative of the whole company I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, but I'm keeping some hope alive.

I'll keep the thread updated about the updates. I know there are a few Duende users who will be making the Monterey switch soon.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I do have to give credit to the guy at SSL who's putting some time and energy into this situation. The tech support guy was awful, and if he was indicative of the whole company I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, but I'm keeping some hope alive.

I'll keep the thread updated about the updates. I know there are a few Duende users who will be making the Monterey switch soon.
I don't know who you mean but I have done tech support before and it is a bit of a thankless task.

A tech support person is often caught in the middle between wanting to help a customer but being limited by whatever decisions are made by the higher ups, or by people who no longer even work for the company.

When I was doing it I was on the receiving end of a torrent of abuse day after day for decisions that were not of my making.
It grinds you down.
There is an assumption by the general public that anyone doing tech support is a know-nothing punching bag when in fact they are usually well trained and capable, but limited because of decision making beyond their control.
I was very glad to have got out of it.

I'm not making excuses for whoever you were dealing with.
Just offering a perspective having done the job.

I've said this sort of thing before on forums and received the response of 'well if you don't like the job then don't do it'.
Thing is I like the job when it was going well- you get great feedback from the customers and can positively impact a business, as you tend to know the products inside out and how they work in the real world.
But it isn't worth the aggro.

Which was a shame, as I'd have liked to have stayed doing it but would have needed more understanding from customers and more freedom to help them from the management structure of the company I worked for.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting