Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-16-2021, 07:27 AM

Default PT 2021.3.1 giving AAE errors on Big Sur 11.4

I upgraded out of Catalina to Big Sur 11.4 yesterday. Technically, Avid is saying it supports 11.3.1 Big Sur via the compatibility page. So I'm curious if I'm in a lame duck situation until Avid patches 11.4.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to patch these OS updates?

I am getting constant -9173 AAE errors with Pro Tools struggling to run smoothly. CPU is off the chart and hitting 100% when it was typically in the 45% range in Catalina. All of my session ran very smooth before the upgrade, and now PT doesn't seem to know how to handle things.

AVID support did lots of remote diagnostics, and pretty much told me it's my plugins. Trashing prefs, Hyperthreading off didn't fix, and plugin updating did not help either. But after I updated all of my plugins, I can't get the problem to go away. It's just running like PT has a hangover.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

System: 2018 Mac Mini / 3.2 6-core Intel i7 / 64 GB Ram / 1TB SSD
PT: 2021.3.1 Pro Tools
Old 06-17-2021, 08:38 AM

Default Re: PT 2021.3.1 giving AAE errors on Big Sur 11.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethtyler View Post
I upgraded out of Catalina to Big Sur 11.4 yesterday. Technically, Avid is saying it supports 11.3.1 Big Sur via the compatibility page. So I'm curious if I'm in a lame duck situation until Avid patches 11.4.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to patch these OS updates?

I am getting constant -9173 AAE errors with Pro Tools struggling to run smoothly. CPU is off the chart and hitting 100% when it was typically in the 45% range in Catalina. All of my session ran very smooth before the upgrade, and now PT doesn't seem to know how to handle things.

AVID support did lots of remote diagnostics, and pretty much told me it's my plugins. Trashing prefs, Hyperthreading off didn't fix, and plugin updating did not help either. But after I updated all of my plugins, I can't get the problem to go away. It's just running like PT has a hangover.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

System: 2018 Mac Mini / 3.2 6-core Intel i7 / 64 GB Ram / 1TB SSD
PT: 2021.3.1 Pro Tools
I’m in the same boat. Thought almost a year would be good enough for everything to catch up. Recording is now impossible at any buffer size and will just hang then eventually not play the session at all.

Weird thing is I can open 2018 sessions with 40+ tracks with 3+ native plugins each and it will play flawlessly. New ones, with only 10 tracks, just end up freezing and becoming inoperable.

Tried everything it seems. And nothing seems to work.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:59 AM

There must be a plugin. It's always a plugin. The bad part is it takes time to figure it out what plugin is doing it.

I'm on 11.4 Big Sur but on a Mac mini M1. So far no errors, and did stress test with more than 1000 plugins with the CPU at more than 80% and performing great.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
There must be a plugin. It's always a plugin. The bad part is it takes time to figure it out what plugin is doing it.

I'm on 11.4 Big Sur but on a Mac mini M1. So far no errors, and did stress test with more than 1000 plugins with the CPU at more than 80% and performing great.
Whaaaat.

Well where do I start when looking for the problem child? Plugins on my 2018 sessions that run fine are nearly identical to the ones in my new sessions. Waves, Antares, Avid, and sound toys.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:07 PM

Yes, what is the best way to troubleshoot which plugin is misbehaving? For me, it seems like Pro Tools is just struggling to run all of them. Almost like Pro Tools is using twice the CPU than normal to run things.

Anyways, would love to know your process for isolating the problem child plug.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2021, 06:55 PM

The general rule for troubleshooting plugins is to move all plugins to the unused folder. Restart Protools to ensure that there are no errors when all plugins are not loaded. Then one by one (a few more if you are ambitious), move it back into the plugin folder and restart Protools and test. Once you encounter a problem, that is a likely problem plugin (if you are doing more than one plugin at a time, then it will be in that group you just moved in). Remove the problem plugin and test again. Repeat moving plugins in and restarting Protools until you have completed testing all your plugins and identified possible problem plugins. Remember there can be more than one. Just because they worked in previous version of Protools is no guarantee that they will work in the current version. Once you've identified the trouble plugins, check with the manufacturer to see it there is an updated version and test. This is very tedious and time consuming, but it is an effective way to find the problem plugins. Don't roll your eyes (I can see it now). Many of us have done this and more often than not, a plugin was the problem and not Protools itself.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 06-18-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:49 AM

I took all my plug-ins out, brought back each one separately, restarted Pro Tools each time, and nothing was misbehaving. Put all the plugs back and problem quickly returned. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools, still the same. Now what? Has anyone tried anything else that ended up working?
Old 07-01-2021, 08:18 AM

You don't put the plugins back in separately, restart, test, and remove it again. You put them in one at a time, restart, test, and leave them in as you move one to the next one. At least that is how I do it and how I understand the best way to troubleshoot plugins. I know it is very time-consuming and tedious. Perhaps you can visit the plugins' website to check if there are any updates of compatibility information for Big Sur 11.4. It seems to me that many only recently updated for Big Sur and that was only with earlier versions like 11.0 to 11.3.

Having said that, there are many others reporting performance issues with Protools 2021.6 and Big Sur. There seems to be GUI lagginess or sluggishness, beachballs, screen tearing, glitches, etc. On the other hand, others are reporting excellent performance improvements and better memory usage. So it is hard to pinpoint.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 07-01-2021, 08:41 AM

The only way I see that being different is if two plugs are somehow interacting with each other - and with 300 plug-ins how do you narrow it down? It's either this plug-in I just added or this one plus some combination of the others currently in the folder.

I did just find this on the Big Sur compatibility page:

"Our testing has shown that certain configurations may result in a higher incidence of playback errors. This is particularly prevalent with legacy MacBook Pros."

Would be nice to have more information on this testing Avid. My computer is only 2018, but maybe it's considered legacy?