Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-13-2020, 02:58 PM

Default import tracks to folder track?

Is there a way to either drag audio files (music stems for example) into PT into a particular track folder (either basic or routing)?
Old 05-13-2020, 03:25 PM

Default Re: import tracks to folder track?

If you already have blank audio tracks in a folder, you can drag clips onto those tracks. If not, just import to new tracks, then drag&drop those tracks into the folder track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-13-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you already have blank audio tracks in a folder, you can drag clips onto those tracks. If not, just import to new tracks, then drag&drop those tracks into the folder track.
Yep, that works, but I want to create new tracks with the names of the stems automatically and not have extra blank tracks in my template..
Old 05-13-2020, 05:41 PM

If your folder track is the last track in the session, is empty, and you drop the files on the blank area below they automatically create new tracks in the folder. A bit too limiting to be useful though.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:48 AM

If you have a folder track highlighted, and import audio to new tracks via the Import Audio menu command (or cmd-stift-i on Mac), then those tracks will be named with the audio file name and placed into the highlighted folder.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
If you have a folder track highlighted, and import audio to new tracks via the Import Audio menu command (or cmd-stift-i on Mac), then those tracks will be named with the audio file name and placed into the highlighted folder.
Great. This is good. I'd like to be able to drag/drop, but this is cool. I assume it'll work with OMF/AAF import as well.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvpwnd View Post
Great. This is good. I'd like to be able to drag/drop, but this is cool. I assume it'll work with OMF/AAF import as well.
Just tried it. It works the same way. I created a basic folder track, left it highlighted, then imported session data as new tracks (my usually method for importing AAF/OMF). The new tracks were placed into the folder.

I also tried it with a Routing Folder. It works the same way, but does not route the tracks to the routing folder's bus. There is no way to route tracks' outputs automatically from the import session data dialog.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:13 PM

This is great. I never use the original imported OMF tracks, I always mute them and keep them in the session so I can revert back to the original if I ever want to without importing again. I copy all the OMF audio onto my templates tracks.
However if you want to route the OMF tracks to a folder, you could import them not into a folder, select the tracks, then choose "Track > Move to New Folder", and then select "Route Tracks to New Folder".
An option in the import session dialog to create a new folder containing the imported "New Tracks" (not matching to existing tracks) and route them through the folder would be great. I will add this to the folder track request thread.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
This is great. I never use the original imported OMF tracks, I always mute them and keep them in the session so I can revert back to the original if I ever want to without importing again. I copy all the OMF audio onto my templates tracks.
However if you want to route the OMF tracks to a folder, you could import them not into a folder, select the tracks, then choose "Track > Move to New Folder", and then select "Route Tracks to New Folder".
An option in the import session dialog to create a new folder containing the imported "New Tracks" (not matching to existing tracks) and route them through the folder would be great. I will add this to the folder track request thread.
Right. I have a "prep" folder I want to keep the original OMFs in. The move too works I guess but it's an extra step.