Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-31-2015, 01:22 PM

Default midi velocity not responding

I've got 3 tracks with Sampletank for an ochestra section. I've been editing the the volume of the tracks by adjusting midi velocity notes. All of a sudden it's not responding on one of the tracks. Drag the velocity note up or down doesn't effect the volume. It still does on the other tracks. Can't determine what's different about the track . Can anyone tell me why this might be happening? Thanks
Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM

Default Re: midi velocity not responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyrains View Post
I've got 3 tracks with Sampletank for an ochestra section. I've been editing the the volume of the tracks by adjusting midi velocity notes. All of a sudden it's not responding on one of the tracks. Drag the velocity note up or down doesn't effect the volume. It still does on the other tracks. Can't determine what's different about the track . Can anyone tell me why this might be happening? Thanks
Try using the same patch in Sampletank and see if the issue still happens. What version of Sampletank are you using? ST3 just had an update recently. I generally don't use velocity to control volume but cc7 MIDI messages since that works across all vi's that I know of. To do that you do have to MIDI learn MIDI cc7 to the mixer channel in use as ST3 doesn't have global volume control via cc7 as it's on a per-patch basis. Further to do that you need a controller that can send cc messages as ST3 doesn't allow one to type in a cc message number in it's MIDI learn field.

QAPLA!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:09 PM

I've been experimenting, trouble shooting. I've been trying adjusting velocity controls on different tracks, in different session, and with different plugins. I'm finding it to work with some patches (any VI) and not with others. I've never been aware of this being an issue before, i.e. I occasionally adjust note velocity this way (not using this as opposed adjusting fader for overall volume, as may have sounded like in my original post.) I'm not understanding the "cc7 MIDI message, need for controller" info. Is it possile that certain tones don't respond to velocity control?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyrains View Post
I've been experimenting, trouble shooting. I've been trying adjusting velocity controls on different tracks, in different session, and with different plugins. I'm finding it to work with some patches (any VI) and not with others. I've never been aware of this being an issue before, i.e. I occasionally adjust note velocity this way (not using this as opposed adjusting fader for overall volume, as may have sounded like in my original post.) I'm not understanding the "cc7 MIDI message, need for controller" info. Is it possile that certain tones don't respond to velocity control?
Possible but that has nothing to do with what you're questioning. With Sampletank 3 you need an actual physical controller to do MIDI learn for a parameter and with MIDI cc7 volume messages you need a physical pedal - you can't just select from a menu what controller to use or enter one in manually.

I'd use cc7 message to control volume - that works across all patches.

QAPLA!