Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Pre-Fader Metering vs Post-Fader Metering

Is there an advantage to Cutting tracks and/or Mixing either in Pre-Fader metering vs Post-Fader metering?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Pre-Fader Metering vs Post-Fader Metering

I never use post-fader metering. When tracking, I want my meter to show me the input level. As long as the fader isn't moved from unity gain, it wouldn't make a difference, but that's not generally the case and certainly not worth counting on. I also don't use any plug-ins when I'm tracking either. When mixing, I stay in pre-fader metering so that if I mute mute a track it doesn't make the meter disappear and I can tell that there's actually some there.

I'd actually be hard pressed to tell you why you WOULD use post-fader metering.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM

I agree about tracking with meters set to pre-fader, but when mixing I want to know the level of the signal after plug-in processing and after gain is applied by the fader. This informs me of any clipping of the individual channels (actually I usually try to keep the channel level peaks to about -6b) and also indicates the results of compression/eq. Additionally, I can check for the balance between multiple channels and can tell which signals are contributing the most/least to the summing bus, whatever that may be. Pre-fader metering would not provide any of that information, unless I mix with faders at unity gain and no plug-ins.

During mixing I will occasionally check the pre-fader levels (usually until I am familiar with the mix) and during tracking I have had to switch to post-fader metering to confirm that "digital clipping" was occurring as a result of too much fader gain and not input levels. For example, pre-fader metering will not indicate an overload on an aux send feeding the artist cue mix that results from excessive gain.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Ditto Shawn.

I only need one hand to count the number of times I've used Post Fader Metering in Pro Tools.
I very rarely use it on a mixing console when given the option.

If you are woried about clippng a PlugIn or summing stages there are meters and clip indicators, and even your ears to provide that information.

Ted