Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-13-2007, 03:52 AM

Default PT7 doesn\'t like my network...Any Ideas?

Hello

I put my studio and office PCs (3 machines) over my LAN using a standard CAT5 switch, and the network works OK. The problem is that the DAW PC which has always been working flawlessy has issues when the network connection is on on that PC. H/W buffer errors prevent me from going into playback. I have to disable the network connection and reboot to have the machine back to its regular working order. Is there a workaround for this or a simpler way to have PT peacefully go along with my LAN? BTW, the network card on th the PT PC is the standard port built in on the Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard (the rest is also standard, Atholn 4400 x2, 2Gb Ram XPSP2, PT7.1 on 002R).

Thanx

L.G.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: PT7 doesn\'t like my network...Any Ideas?

Hi Gerax,

PT actually recommends turning off the network card while using PT. Some systems seem to be happy to co-exsist but in general I go to Start Button, Right mouse My Network Places, go to properties and disable the Local Area Connevtion . Very easy to turn back on when you need to.

I use MSN to contact others on my property over the 5 PCs we have Networked so I am lucky it works, but I do have to turn it off on my Laptop whe using PT.

All the best,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Hi BigD

I'm doing the same thing, or so it seems, but the problem is that if I turn on the DAW PC and the network is active then PT won't go into playback giving me DAE errors...I have to disable the LAN connection and reboot. It's not as big a deal, but it'd be nice to have everything always turned on and working...The curious thing is that if I turn the LAN connection on when PT is already open it seems to work, as I can even audition and import files from over the network (which is really cool)...shut PT down one time and launch it again and it's DAE errors...

L.G.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I can even audition and import files from over the network (which is really cool)...shut PT down one time and launch it again and it's DAE errors...
Are you mounting drives across the network? I'm not sure, but this might be a problem since I believe Pro Tools tries to access any logical drive it can see when it's launched (including memory cards, etc that may be plugged into your computer). That may be why it works fine with the network on until you relaunch Pro Tools.

Again, not certain, but others here should be able to confirm or deny.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 AM

Not really. The fact that I could audition and import files from over the network was just a simple test I did to see if I could do it. All of the files and folders of my audio and PT sessions are on the drive on the DAW PC. So this sounds like I'm stuck with this issue and I cannot make PT and my network go along...I'll be forced to enable/disable my network and reboot each time...

L.G.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 AM

You could try another network-card.
Might also be that it shares an irq or something with your firewire-card...

BTW: Lan-shares work fine on my setup. We share our sound-archive on a winXP server and it works beautifully.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 AM

Could be an idea. Any sugegstion on what NIC to get?

L.G.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 AM

Nope. Sorry.
If you buy in a shop instead of online, maybe you could get a deal that you can try different cards, and pay for the one you keep.