Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 11:10 PM

Default how do you know?

how do you know which chipset your getting if you buy a laptop from the hp site? there isnt a palce where you can choose one...

what is a chipset?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:24 AM

Default Re: how do you know?

You can call HP and ask, or type in the model number on some other sales websites and it should tell you, but calling might be easier if its not listed on the HP site.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:31 AM

if its intel there is an app you can down load that will tell you.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 AM

what is a chipset? what does it have to do with? processor? hardrive? video card?

what does it do?

-melty
Old 07-08-2006, 12:09 PM

Basically a chipset is a chip on the motherboard that controls the devices and other hardware. It would usually control the onboard audio, usb/firewire ports, hard drive ports, ethernet, pci ports, etc... They also do some other things too.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:21 PM

OK, so according to digidesigns website there are only 3 supported chipsets. and according to intel's website, none of those chipsets are offered with there duo core processors...I called hp and asked what the chipset was on the model i was lookign at and they told me to ask intel... so ill ask you guys too

if i were to get a Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2500 from hp, do you think it would work with protools....

does anyone have this processor?

-melty
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 PM

I'd wait until Digidesign updates their compatibility pages to include the Core Duo. Since it works so well on the Mac Side and IS Supported, they should be testing it on the Windows side too. But who knows...Each PC is going to have different chipsets even if they do have the Core Duo and it really depends on Digidesign updating their chipset info too. It's getting a bit outdated.

Also, just because it's not on the supported chipset list as being one of the compato 3. You could always get a different chipset in your laptop and try that, just make sure to 100% to aviod the Blacklisted chipsets on that page. Or post about a particular laptop and see if anyone else is having luck with that laptop?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:04 PM

how much is it to get a new chipset? on a laptop?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:11 PM

You can't really. It's built into the motherboard. It's critical part of how the computer operates. If the cpu is the brain, the chipset is probably similar to your computers "blood type". You can't just change it. The only laptop that I know that you could change it out on is maybe a custom built Asus "whitebook" that is user servicable and you could swap the motherboard out on.

you basically buy a different laptop to get a different chipset. So be very careful when purchasing, or find a place with a great return policy on open notebooks I guess.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Can't be done. A chipset is part of the motherboard. Even though the chipset is not "supported" by digidesign it still may work, but I don't know if thats a chance you are willing to take. Supported just means that they have fully tested it and it works. It seems like digi is lazy and only tests a few when they feel like since most of them are outdated.