Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Default McDSP Synth One TDM/RTAS difference

I've demoed this synth using the TDM version, and today I decided to switch to RTAS. The timing accuracy sucks! Up to 41 ms late compared to the TDM version, and not consistent either.

Anyone else seen this?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Default Re: McDSP Synth One TDM/RTAS difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
I've demoed this synth using the TDM version, and today I decided to switch to RTAS. The timing accuracy sucks! Up to 41 ms late compared to the TDM version, and not consistent either.

Anyone else seen this?
Delay compensation should make them the same. Something's not right.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Delay compensation should make them the same. Something's not right.
Well, it doesn't. I made two stereo audio tracks where I, with ADC on, printed one RTAS version and one TDM version. TDM was nice and tight, but RTAS was late and sloppy.

I tried different things like toggle ADC on/off, duplicate the instrument track, de-activate/re-activate the instrument track. Nothing made it better.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 AM

I've now tried importing a synth track (TDM) into a new session, and it sounds fine. Switch to RTAS - disaster.

Also tried with a new track in a new session. TDM is fine, RTAS is not.

I've contacted McDSP support.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
McDSP

Howdy everyone,

about the response from McDSP's Synth One TDM vs. RTAS version...

I assume you are talking about when you play a note, and see the actual audio output from the synth. If I am not understanding something correctly please let me know.

For said playing response - yep, TDM is pretty darn consistent (and fast!). RTAS - not as good - acknowledged. If you are using large buffer sizes (1024, 2048, ...) the 'note playing' part of the synth engine may get stalled - causing the performance you are observing.

There have been a few changes to Pro Tools since Synth One was released, and in particular in Pro Tools 8.0. There might be some new SDK features we could take advantage of, however that is not planned in our upcoming release. I can certainly put the request in the engineering queue for the next release.

But in general, what you have observed is why there is a TDM version in the first place - low latency and little CPU hit.

Thanks for checking out McDSP plug-ins!

Colin McDowell
Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I assume you are talking about when you play a note, and see the actual audio output from the synth. If I am not understanding something correctly please let me know.
That is correct.

Quote:
For said playing response - yep, TDM is pretty darn consistent (and fast!). RTAS - not as good - acknowledged. If you are using large buffer sizes (1024, 2048, ...) the 'note playing' part of the synth engine may get stalled - causing the performance you are observing.
I use a buffer size of 1024 for this session since it's so many VI's involved. I actually can't say how the synth performs with a lower buffer since I didn't switch to RTAS until many VI's were in session, but still...it should work just fine.

Quote:
There have been a few changes to Pro Tools since Synth One was released, and in particular in Pro Tools 8.0. There might be some new SDK features we could take advantage of, however that is not planned in our upcoming release. I can certainly put the request in the engineering queue for the next release.
I'm on 7.4, and I certainly don't expect any miracles.

Thanks for chiming in, Colin. Much appreciated.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 PM

So this is in reference to live playing.

Just about any RTAS instrument will exhibit a delay when playing live, but that should be compensated for during playback.

How about recording with the TDM version then switching to RTAS after recording is finished?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
So this is in reference to live playing.

Just about any RTAS instrument will exhibit a delay when playing live, but that should be compensated for during playback.

How about recording with the TDM version then switching to RTAS after recording is finished?
I have found the Synth one plug to be very inconsistent in RTAS.

with a fast attack percussive sound the amount of latency seems to move randomly. i did some testing a while back and every one of 5 successive recordings were in a different place. Thats plus the fact that some of the plug in settings cause my computer to crash (verified by colin as a bug in some of the settings)

I stopped using it. Pretty lame for something I paid for and I think is a great synth...
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdsp View Post
Howdy everyone,

about the response from McDSP's Synth One TDM vs. RTAS version...

But in general, what you have observed is why there is a TDM version in the first place - low latency and little CPU hit.

Thanks for checking out McDSP plug-ins!

Colin McDowell
Whatever anyone says, I do appreciate this kind of immediate, honest and thorough response from a vendor. Thanks Colin.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I've tried this too and it doesn't work. The RTAS version isn't usable at all for me. TDM is fine.

Quote:
with a fast attack percussive sound the amount of latency seems to move randomly. i did some testing a while back and every one of 5 successive recordings were in a different place. Thats plus the fact that some of the plug in settings cause my computer to crash (verified by colin as a bug in some of the settings)
Thanks for chiming in. That's good to know.

Quote:
Whatever anyone says, I do appreciate this kind of immediate, honest and thorough response from a vendor. Thanks Colin.
I agree 100%.