Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Question New 2011 MacBook Pro i7 has fan running loud and fast with PT9

Hi all, was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a significant boost in fan speed and temperature of CPU when running Pro Tools 9 on the new 2011 macbook pros. I'm running the i7 15" quad-core with 8gb of ram and it's the 2.0 ghz model. Everything runs great on it regardless, however I am concerned about the fact that the fan speed is reading at upwards of 5000 RPM on istat when running PT9! That's way too fast and definitely way too loud for my taste. It also sends the CPU temp up to around 80C sometimes on the i7. Even on a core2duo macmini with 4 gb of ram, I never had higher temps than 75 and could always control fanspeed with istat fine. Now the istat fan speed control doesn't want to do much.

It may be worth mentioning I am daisy chaining several devices via the firewire bus. It goes Firewire 800 bus on MBP > Firewire 800 drive > Firewire 400 Glyph > Firewire 400 Interface.

I don't know if that is the issue or not. But it's certainly only when running PT9.

Also, I transferred via setup assistant from macmini to macbookpro.

Thanks,
E
Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 AM

Is this under a heavy session, or simply running Pro Tools at all?

I have the same computer, and was recording for over 8 hours straight yesterday and I was delighted by how quiet it was.

It was a light session though. Lots of audio tracks but not many plugs and no VIs.

I also have a FireWire daisy chain with a ProFire 610 and two external drives.

Also curious, what audio interface do you have?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Default Re: New 2011 MacBook Pro i7 has fan running loud and fast with PT9

TDM is not dead !!

How on earth it seems everyone wants a free lunch?

Performance means performance. If you spend energy you must cool it down (or explode). Not wanting to explode means serious cooling efforts and if the box is a feet away from your ears it means noise.

Seriously guys, if you want performance, then buy gear that can do it and don't think about portability. If you want portability, then buy gear that can do it and don't think about performance. It's either-or, never both.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM

To SixChurchStreet, I would say it was medium heavy load session. A 30 minute short with a movie as photo jpg and about 40 tracks with a couple altiverbs and a few wns plugz. Nothing super intense. I ran tge same sess on a macmini with no fan noise and a lower cpu temp. If you read around online, people are already complaining about these jet engine fans. Apple released an "about your fans in you 2011 mbp" basically it just says "faster cpu requires more cooling so the fans are more sensitive" but this sensitive is out of control! Also, we have the same setup for this rig. 610 and 2 external drives daisy chained to mbp 15" 2.0 ghz quad.

To the other guy, since the purpose of this rig is potability but still plenty of power, I have to respectfully disagree with your overall view. Maybe thats why I use an hd3 rig with a 192 io and a c24 to mix. But if i can edit on a macmini core2duo with 4 gb of ram and barely get errors, then an i7 quadcore with 8gb of ram should eclipse that in speed and in lower temps b/c of sandy bridge. But it seems not. Either i have a lemon(which i doubt b/c this is a problem for many online) or this is just too loud. Either way a return may be in store.

E
Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM

TDM has nothing to do with this thread. If you can't be helpful (or at least attempt to be) why bother posting at all?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave128 View Post
To SixChurchStreet, I would say it was medium heavy load session. A 30 minute short with a movie as photo jpg and about 40 tracks with a couple altiverbs and a few wns plugz. Nothing super intense. I ran tge same sess on a macmini with no fan noise and a lower cpu temp. If you read around online, people are already complaining about these jet engine fans. Apple released an "about your fans in you 2011 mbp" basically it just says "faster cpu requires more cooling so the fans are more sensitive" but this sensitive is out of control! Also, we have the same setup for this rig. 610 and 2 external drives daisy chained to mbp 15" 2.0 ghz quad.

To the other guy, since the purpose of this rig is potability but still plenty of power, I have to respectfully disagree with your overall view. Maybe thats why I use an hd3 rig with a 192 io and a c24 to mix. But if i can edit on a macmini core2duo with 4 gb of ram and barely get errors, then an i7 quadcore with 8gb of ram should eclipse that in speed and in lower temps b/c of sandy bridge. But it seems not. Either i have a lemon(which i doubt b/c this is a problem for many online) or this is just too loud. Either way a return may be in store.

E
Interesting about the ProFire 610. I am unable to daisychain with the drives first in my chain with getting buffer underflow errors from Pro Tools (6058 I believe).
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
It is not the size of the session. It is that your computer is sending power to your Pro Fire (which is garbage anyway). Run the same session without it and you will stay cool.

You spent all that money on a laptop but you buy a Pro Fire?

BTW I worked on a session I started on my 12 core and did my mix setup on my laptop and not a pep from the fan.

I don't mean to be a jerk about the cheap pro fire because any computer powered i/o is going to heat up your laptop
Wow. Hate the ProFire much? What interface would you suggest the OP use then to fix his heat problems (assuming here that you are correct in stating that his heat problems are directly caused by using a ProFire interface)?

Personally, I use my ProFire 610 on AC Power, I'm sure the OP was too.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Under "Setup | Playback Engine" you have 8 "host processors" configured, right?
Try to set it to only 4 but set the "CPU usage limit" to 99%.

Your CPU has 4 cores but with 2 (hyper-)threads each, so Pro Tools thinks there are 8 cores. I had a similar issue on a 2010 MacBook Pro and could resolve it by setting the "host processors" to the actual number of real cores in the machine.

Last edited by skyko; 03-06-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typos ...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 PM

A) It is not related to interface. I have run the session off of the internal audiocard with a mini mercury buspowered fw800 drive for audio and it still runs like a damn turbine. I didnt go buy a 610 with this setup. I had it and thus am using it. Def not a great interface but also should not be the cause of these issues. I know the internal audio card with prolly put even more strain on cpu, but i felt it was worth mentioning. And yes 6street was right, I am using ac adapter on interface and all drives are adapter powred, not bus....cept for owc mini whe i am onthego.

B) i have read they put too much thermal paste on the 15" cpus. I am going to take it in and see if they can remove some and if it helps.

C) i did reduce number of cores, but i will try again. I have a feeling the smc sensors inside mbp are just too sensitive. Possibly a driver update will fix this?

E
Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

It is not the just the Pro Fire........ Please understand that anything you hook up to the Laptop... USB keyboard..... External HardDrive even the profire with a ac adapter.... Will cause your laptop to heat up. Why??? Because you are passing information back and forth very fast using a electrical current.