How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Fading Velocities nondestructively

Greetings All

Region-based MIDI Real-Time Properties (MRTP) Fading Velocities nondestructively, wouldn't it be cool if more MIDI Velocity Operations were added to the MRTP Velocity expand/collapse drop down list?

The only option is the destructive MIDI Operations - Change Velocity 'Change Smoothly by Percentage' command.

filosofem
Old 09-08-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Fading Velocities nondestructively

A way to re-map velocity data to CCs would be nice. To be able to select just certain velocity diamond heads based on user parameters, would help too. Master Tracks Pro is a nice midi editor that Digi could borrow some ideas from.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Hi musicalavtech

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't this depend on the Modulation capabilities of the MIDI device?

filosofem
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 AM

I apologize, but I guess I don't see how you are going with this. Example please? What I was thinking of is a way to tie in, with a line, each midi velocity diamond head, make a selection and copy over to any CC...modulation, pan, attack, and so on.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM

musicalavtech, no need to apologise, my friend, for it is more likely that it is I that has misunderstood.

I think I have an idea, but could you illustrate this a little more?

What I was referring to, was with external playback modules, like for example, Roland V-Synth XT, where Source and Destination are assignable via a Matrix Control (16 Destinations for 8 Source parameters). For example, Velocity (Source) has the potential to modulate 78 possible Destinations.

But this isn't what you were referring too?

filosofem
Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 AM

I am envisioning having velocity data being c&p to any cc or automation playlist of VI or outboard synths. Maybe like the velocity data curve of a recorded midi snare track could be copied and pasted to CC74 or the fine tuning data parameters. We may be both thinking somewhat along the same lines. There is more that I don't know about some midi areas, than I do know.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Hmmm... with either computer-based Instruments or external sound modules, velocity modulation is normally determined via what a manufacturer offers in the way of a Modulation Matrix and the Destination parameters of which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

AIR groups Structure doesn't have a bad Mod Matrix, with a somewhat humble Destination list and a very good MIDI Control page.

Point is, if you know how you work and what works, this makes your choice of playback module so much easier.

Though, I know what your saying, a side of me says yes that would be cool, but the other side is saying what's wrong with automation passes?

filosofem