Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Vocal Harmony Suggestions

Hey there:

Well I've been working on this album for too long - and the down side to that is - the longer I work on it - more ideas I get.

My latest idea is to put some vocal harmonies on some of the tunes.

I don't have access to harmony singers - and don't think I can pull off the harmonies myself.

I've been looking at the TC hardware harmonizers - but think they still sound a bit cheezy yes? no?

I've seen a product out there called Vocaloid - anybody have any experience with this product? I noticed it's PC only - so that's a bit of a drag - but workable in the long run.

Also - if there are any other suggestion - I'd appreciate hearing about 'em.

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 05-26-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Vocal Harmony Suggestions

Insted of getting the TC hardware I just want to point out that a TC harmonizer is included in Band-in-a-box for far less money, if they are good enuff for your purpos is another question...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 05-26-2005, 05:46 PM

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...ny/PR/uno.html

This is a link to a story about Meloldyne's Uno, a cheaper version of their pitch manipulation software. I'm not terribly familiar with the products, but have heard from reliable pros that it's sound quality is very good. It allows you to edit vocals, changing the pitch and timing and such without the result sounding fake.

I would be worth looking into-

PC
Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 AM

Just my 2 cents on this....

I have been gigging with a Vocalist unit live for many years, and although it can be cool to use live, sometimes sounding very good, the technology is just not acceptable for recording... believe me, I know all the programming tricks of the unit, but it just doesn't cut it sonically. It would be great if it could, but it just ain't happenin.

You are far, far better off finding the "real" voices you need for the particular tunes, and
flying in the live parts that way. Instead of wasting the bucks on hardware, offer to pay someone to do the parts..... that's what I do, and it always works out fine. Eventually, you'll build up a "call" list of talent that you can use in the future, even on the smallest of projects.

Hope this helps,
Dave
infest the planet.

PB al 12" G4
750 MB ram
OSX 10.3.1
Digi 002R
PTLE 6.2.2
Old 05-27-2005, 04:15 PM

have a vocalist sing backups from here. certainly theres someone that'd lend a helping hand.

over at the Marsh theres a networking forum and someone would be glad to lay ya some harmionies. if not, I have a female singer that'd do it but i cant get on it till next week.

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.p...edr=1&frm_id=8

the internet's cool like that.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:57 PM

I would go to Craig's list and take out an ad for background singers. I have found a nice talent pool that way. Many do it for free for the exposure and cd. good luck!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:57 PM

You can also create multiple harmonies from a single vocal melody in Abelton Live. It is time consuming but the results are quite good. If you want to try it e-mail and I'll try to help you out.

I think Melodyn would be quicker I just haven't tried it yet. I looks like it works great for this purpose in movie on the web site. But who knows.

KC
Old 05-29-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

I'm going to check out that Melodyn stuff - looks pretty slick.

Also - didn't even consider sending my Pt sessions off to a pro singer - the more I think about this - and if this Melodyn project consumes too much time - I'll start actively looking for vocalists - from the "Marsh" and other sites on the net.

Thanks again,

Sparky