Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-08-2021, 11:46 AM

Default Click on a session, nothing happens...

I click on a session in the menu, then nothing. Can only access my most recent session, nothing else. They are in the list, but I can't access them... Something is corrupt? I updated the software... Same problem.

Using PTF on a scarlett 212 on a MacBook Pro from 2010 with High Sierra. Thanks!

Last edited by jeffro; 09-09-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Moved from macOS subforum.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Click on a session, nothing happens...

Is the hard drive with the sessions on it still connected? Or have you moved (dragged) the files away from their original locations and into other folders? Try finding the actual ".PTX" file and double-clicking on it to launch PT. Let us know if that works.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:31 AM

Hi!
Thanks for reaching out
Everything is still connected.
I tried moving everything out of the cloud and back in to the internal drive, but that just seems to have made things worse as now there is no list. Ha! I still have no idea how to sort this.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:50 AM

"the cloud" is most likely the source of your problem. I don't know of anybody who has been able to use that "collaboration" system reliably.

If you were able to download the entire session folder then open it and double-click on the "ptx" file and see if it will launch the session. It may prompt you to "locate audio" but if you have the entire folder with its subfolders on your machine it should be able to find them with an automatic search.

Once you have successfully opened the sessions from your "local" drive, then they should appear as "recently opened" in your "File" menu.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
If you were able to download the entire session folder then open it and double-click on the "ptx" file...
They are using Pro Tools First which uses Projects (not Sessions) so the files are packaged and managed by the app.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmaymi View Post
...I tried moving everything out of the cloud and back in to the internal drive, but that just seems to have made things worse...
Can you please describe how you did this? Backup To Cloud is an option but Projects are cached on your boot drive in /Users/*name*/Documents/Pro Tools/Project Cache and should not be manually moved.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
They are using Pro Tools First which uses Projects (not Sessions) so the files are packaged and managed by the app.
Ah, sorry. Didn't know that about "First".
Thanks Jeffro.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
Ah, sorry. Didn't know that about "First".
Thanks Jeffro.
No prob, thanks for pitching in to try and help!
Old 09-09-2021, 08:42 PM

I really have no idea. something happened with my OS where my entire desktop, and god only knows what else, ended up saved in the cloud, which i thought wasn't even activated. I dragged everything back, and that's when the list disappeared. I am no computer wiz. I'm a guitar player trying to record some music during covid. I have put off buying this kind of gear for a very long time for exactly this kind of reason. There has to be a way to solve this. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmaymi View Post
I really have no idea. something happened with my OS where my entire desktop, and god only knows what else, ended up saved in the cloud, which i thought wasn't even activated. I dragged everything back, and that's when the list disappeared. I am no computer wiz. I'm a guitar player trying to record some music during covid. I have put off buying this kind of gear for a very long time for exactly this kind of reason. There has to be a way to solve this. Thanks!
I'm guessing you don't have a complete backup that you can restore the mac to when things were OK.

To manage how iCloud Drive behaves, you go into system preferences and click AppleID at the top.
Select iCloud on the left. Here you see a very important setting; "Optimize Mac storage" (or words to that effect). If it's on, the mac starts to make decisions on what files can be deleted from your drive, because they can always be retrieved from iCloud Drive. Files that haven't been used i a while, in essence.
When you turn this option off, any files that is not on your drive will be restored there.

Now, if you have "restored" some files and folders manually, I cannot say how this will work out, unfortunately. My best guess is that you should try to "undo" that procedure, and place those folders in the trash. Don't empty. BUT BEFORE THAT I would definetely recommend that you do a full backup to an external disk. If you can't do that, I can't guarantee anything.

Anyway, if you place those folders in the trash, the second you turn off the "Optimization" in iCloud settings, you should see the folders turning up again, with small progress-circles as they are restored from the cloud, and it might take a while.

I could go into more about icloud settings, but this is the most important thing to avoid that Mac OS moves files from HD to cloud.