Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-11-2002, 03:58 PM

Default Recording bass direct to 001

I have a 5 string Washburn with active pickup. I'm not sure if I should run it thru my PodPro or just plug it straight into the 001 and add some compression. if I play hard thru the PodPro I get a bit of clipping probably due to the pickup.
Any suggestions? What are you bass players using? (I can't afford a bass amp or bass pod right now)
Old 12-11-2002, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Recording bass direct to 001

I'd suggest recording direct and you can run the track through the pod(or anything else you can get) later during mixdown, cobining the signals if you wish.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:53 PM

I have a four string Warwick with active pick ups and I just run directly in. Always get some very good full tones. I sometimes run some Sansamp on it later to rough up the sound etc.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:07 PM

I have a MusicMan Sterling 4 string and a custom fretless. I don't like running direct in as I never get the sound I want. I like a Me'Shell Ndegeocello/Stuart Zender kind of sound. I have a Focusrite Tone Factory pre, and I can get very close to the sound I want. Another pre I borrow from time to time is an Avalon 737sp, and its easier to get a good sound with that.

What style of music, and do they use fingers or a pick?
Old 12-11-2002, 05:21 PM

I play rock instrumental "vai/satriani" type stuff.
I do all the guitars, bass and drum-programming. bass stuff is slappy/funky/groove stuff...very precise rythms.
I'm just trying to find that golden tone. I've applied the sans amp to pretty much all my bass lines to get a bit more snarl out of them...
I get a great tone out of the PodPro using the tweed model and some comp. and a bit of chorus.....if it wasn't for the clipping I'd be all set. I'll try Where's suggestion about reamping the bass after it's recorded dry.
thanks all,
Jeff
Old 12-11-2002, 05:32 PM

I'm using my 73 P bass into the D.I. on the front of my Great River "NV" pre into the 001 line input. It's round. I've had great result. I do prefer putting a mic on a cabinet.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:16 PM

I'd have to agree with a mic and cab, but an SVT runs a little loud for home use... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2002, 06:39 PM

Hi Guitaramundo, if you are satisfied with the sound of the pod, then just turn your volume down a little on the bass to keep the pod input from clipping this often occurs when using active basses. Hope this helps. By the way I play bass also using a Tobias Signature 6 string. I've customized it quite a bit it has now a 18 volt system that rocks.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:45 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with the last post, you should run your pickups full out to get the best sound out of your electronics. I would probably try a compressor prior to the POD, to control the peaks from clipping the input when slapping and popping. Signal chain would be Bass -> Comp -> POD -> 001.

Another possible option depending on the preamp, is that some active electronic systems in basses have a gain attenuator in the control cavity that you can use to adjust the output of the bass.

Also check to see if you have the option of running the bass in passive mode .... this is a common choice in many active bass systems to give you a safety valve if your battery dies in the middle of a set and would lower output gain alot.

Also keep in mind that the technique for studio playing is alot more controlled vs. live playing. If you're going direct, you have to learn to control your dynamics with your playing technique. It always sounds better and more natural than electronic control.

Good luck,

Tony
Old 12-12-2002, 10:35 AM

If your budget is limited, I would pick up a SansAmp DI Box. It has worked well for me for many years with great success. It really rounds the sound and thickens it a bit.

I'm not a fan of the pod or any outboard unit that does ADA conversion. Not because of tone, because of latency. Whenever I plug into one of these units I notice the latency immediately. It drives me crazy. I got into an argument with a producer because he insisted that I use the bass pod. When we analyzed the recorded track, my bass parts were consitently 4-5 milleseconds off (this was a sequenced track that required me to play on the beat). When he finally agreed to let me just plug into the console direct, my parts were right on.

In my opinion, if you really want to use one of these units, it's better to record your bass direct, then route the recorded signal later into the unit. Remember, you will have to nudge the pod signal in order for it to coincide with the D.I. signal (otherwise there will be phasing).

Trust me on this, and if you don't, perform the experiment yourself and you'll see the results.

Btw, I agree with crowdog. You always want to leave your volume pot on your bass maxed. You want to reach your optimal gain structure as soon as possible in the chain to prevent added noise, and in this case, for optimum tone. It's better you attenuate the signal later. I've used active basses in the past and really never had this problem. If your going to continue with this setup, as crowdog stated, you'll have to compress the transients of your bass and maybe still have to attenuate your signal on the pod. Good luck.