Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 AM

Default Very dead system, help/advice needed please.

Hi all, have been running a hackintosh system (specs below) with very few issues the last five years. In fact i'd go as far as to say its been the most stable/reliable DAW setup I've used.....anyway

So this last week lots of different 9060/9061 errors, freezing when changing plugins...force quitting protools...general misery.

Ive changed pretty much everything to try & get to the bottom of the problem.

So far I've tried.

* Trashing all prefs
* Booting into both 10.6.x/PT8 HD & 10.7.x PT10HD (both have been used regularly before with no issues, & are on separate boot drives)
* changing the drive the session plays off (multiple times)
* Running digitest on the HD3 PCI cards (all passed)
* Using just in single 192D
* Swapping ALL THREE cards out for a spare set I keep
* Tracking with no plugins on

Basically, the only thing that works is booting into native on PT10, which at least allows me to mix & monitor via the Spdif out on a little USB interface I use for iTunes playback, & my pro control still functions.

So in essence, the TDM side seems totally F****d.

The only thing I've not been able to try is swapping the ribbon cables that connect the cards, as I don't have spares.

Any one any bright ideas? Could the motherboard be screwed on the PCI slots?

PT10 running natively with ZERO issues. btw, so the mac must be fine at a basic level.

Any help VERY appreciated :):)

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 04-15-2015, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Very dead system, help/advice needed please.

I hope you get better advice than mine. When you mention that everything passes DigiTest, I would THINK that means the ribbon cables are good, BUT, it may still be worth trying just the core card(remove the other cards for testing). If its still bad, try moving the core card to another slot. Point being, if the core card works in another slot, that helps to pin the blame on the motherboard. Troubleshooting a system this complicated(and it really is when you think about it) can be a PITA Hope you get to the bottom of it!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I hope you get better advice than mine. When you mention that everything passes DigiTest, I would THINK that means the ribbon cables are good, BUT, it may still be worth trying just the core card(remove the other cards for testing). If its still bad, try moving the core card to another slot. Point being, if the core card works in another slot, that helps to pin the blame on the motherboard. Troubleshooting a system this complicated(and it really is when you think about it) can be a PITA Hope you get to the bottom of it!
Yeah, thanks for the reply...swapped to Core+1 Accel earlier & it seemed to work for a while...which points to either the 3rd PCI slot or ribbon cable...but then had a crash...aggh...i should have been a plumber..

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Yeah, thanks for the reply...swapped to Core+1 Accel earlier & it seemed to work for a while...which points to either the 3rd PCI slot or ribbon cable...but then had a crash...aggh...i should have been a plumber..
You ARE a plumber Working on a stopped up audio toilet

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-16-2015, 05:44 PM

You probably have an issue with one or more of your cards. You need to start doing a process of elimination. Start with your Core Card see how things work with that. Then start adding another card see how things work then. And so forth until you can isolate where the issue lies.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-18-2015, 03:18 AM

I had similair issues with my tdm system last year.

digitest said all was well, but finally I found out, that one of my accel cards had a defect, depending on the temperatur in the mac. That made it very difficult to locate the error, because when the mac was "cold" all was running fine.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 05-02-2015, 12:04 AM

I one your over the other side of the pond
but we get cards for repairs from your side regularly

so if you think you would like that card repairs please contact me

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear