Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-17-2021, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Big Sur Update - Graphics lag and can't reorder tracks

FIXED: I did a full erase and clean install of Big Sur 11.3.1 on my machine, without restoring from Time Machine or using Migration Assistant (just manually imported files from Time Machine backup).

Obviously not the most ideal workaround, but it's left me with a very clean smooth running Pro Tools.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:27 PM

Good to know!! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2021, 08:41 PM

So if apple finally comes out with a 16” new Mac book pro

And IF protools runs ok on it generally (big if)

And if I hook up 2 external monitors to it (if that is possible)

And if I have these screen lag issues - any official approved quick guaranteed fix?

As opposed to the clever but awkward fix listed above.

Thx. ��
Old 06-29-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronphshort View Post
FIXED: I did a full erase and clean install of Big Sur 11.3.1 on my machine, without restoring from Time Machine or using Migration Assistant (just manually imported files from Time Machine backup).

Obviously not the most ideal workaround, but it's left me with a very clean smooth running Pro Tools.
I did the same thing this weekend on my late 2020 iMac. Clean install after erasing the drive and only brought in my user data from Time Machine... no system file transfers, no other apps or prefs... all working well except I have to reinstall all those other apps.

I kinda figured it was time to do a clean one as Time Machine backups prolly spanned several OS versions.

Thanks for the update!
Old 01-25-2022, 01:08 PM

Hi Avid,

We are still experiencing these issues severely and it's impacting workflow at the studio.

We upgraded the main studio computer to a brand new MacPro 7,1 Tower with 192GB of RAM, 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 3.2Gz. Pro Tools 2021.12.1 installed.

It shipped with Big Sur 11.3.2 and we built a completely clean install of our Pro Tools rig from scratch. No TimeMachine and no MigrationAssisstant were used in the making of this build

Sadly the graphics are extremely buggy, lots of black blotches on the screen when scrolling, flashing white suddenly across the screen, and things like resizing tracks is so slow. Pro Tools is also crashing frequently. Overall it just feels like Pro Tools is running slow, it's like we are using an old clogged up MacBook!

The overall ProTools user experience is far faster, slick and smooth on our previous studio machine - a MacPro 2013, with processors almost 10 years older, and less than half the RAM (this is running on Mojave)

The critical difference seems to be BigSur compatibility with Pro Tools.

Can anyone from Avid please advise and reassure that updates are upcoming soon to fix all these issues?

We would love to talk in more detail with someone about it so we can resolve things.

Charles Haydon Hicks
Mix assistant to Dan Grech-Margaret

Thanks
Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-01-13 at 22.29.52.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-31-2022, 05:14 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem here... It's like working through a screen-share on a machine on the other side of the world...

Brutal. From what I'm seeing here, it's unlikely that doing a complete reinstall of OS and apps from scratch will fix it...

Any updates on this? I have a support ticket open, but it's a well-known problem, and they're working on it...
Old 01-31-2022, 06:28 PM

I've been dealing with this since June I think? I can't find a solution to make Pro Tools work smoothly on my machines with Big Sur. It's just not useable!
Catalina is the only option since 2021.6 or so. Oddly enough, Big Sur was fine before that update! Avid support is aware, but they just closed the case I had open with them.

Not totally relevant, but I want to vent, and/or maybe someone has a solution? For some reason after going back down to Catalina, my 2020 imac started shutting down/rebooting randomly. I've spent several hours/days trying to clean install again and again, different RAM, and every other possible solution, but it keeps happening. I just bought a refurb as a replacement, migrated everything over (the easy way), and it's flawless. Apple won't help with the random shutdowns, even with applecare they're just telling me it's a software issue. But... It's a software issue that didn't migrate to the "new" computer!? I'm thinking that I'm going to return this perfectly working refurb and just give up on Apple. It's tough, because this refurb is working very well! But.... Apple's unwillingness to help is infuriating. Do they just expect me to throw this 8 month old machine in the landfill and give them another $3500 bucks for two year old tech?! I can't sell it to someone else like this!

I don't see things getting better with Apple as they focus more and more on non professional devices, and how horrible they're treating developers with major changes so frequently. Their own CPU's seem promising, but it's seeming like we won't have everything working on them for a couple more years. It might just be time to move on. I'm Starting to think the best option is switching to windows full time. I've been dabbling with it for the last couple of years. Right now I'm running Windows 11 with an i9 11900k and it's almost flawless. Almost, only because It's windows. That part is tough to accept, but every time I try to go back to mac, something like this happens. Windows NEVER crashes or throws up CPU errors. It sucks that there's no soundflow in windows (yet?), but I'm wondering if I can set up some similar scripts in Power Automate? One thing at a time though.

Last edited by thebeatless; 01-31-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:21 PM

It's true. Lots of people are reporting identical problems. I'm forced to be on big sur because of an M1 system. My best advice, downgrade pro tools to 2021.3.1 . It runs considerably better - although you lose the extra IO features from .6 and up.

Quite frustrating though that I'm paying for an update plan and using a year-old version of the software.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:19 PM

I'm not going back because of side chain delay compensation on native systems. That almost makes it worth all of this trouble.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:53 PM

Same problems here with Pt2021.12, Mac Pro 6.1 3.5GHz 6threads and 32Go Ram.
Can’t downgrade to Catalina (sho works really better!) without doing total installation. Avid could you please say few words about that?
Mac Pro Trashcan 3?5GHz E5 6hearts, 32GO RAM