Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Harpertown/Magma PE6R4: Correct Expansion Slot For Host Card

According to Magma, the correct slot inside your Mac Harpertown (and I quote) is:

"Install the Magma PCIExpress host card in the middle PCIExpress slot (3rd PCI express slot) in the MacPro and then choose the 2nd PciExpress Profile using the Expansion slot utility..."

Doesn't Digi recommend the 2nd PCIExpress slot? Also, the Expansion slot utility would not open, leading me to assume that it doesn't address the host card.

Thoughts? Warnings?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Avid

Default Re: Harpertown/Magma PE6R4: Correct Expansion Slot For Host Card

Using the 3rd PCIe slot is the way to go -

Video Card
Open Slot
Magma Host card

The Expansion Slot Utility should launch no matter what your card order is, or even if you don't have a Magma card in the computer.

What does it do when you try to open it?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Harpertown/Magma PE6R4: Correct Expansion Slot For Host

I am using the slot next to the video card - it works good no issues.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Video Card
Open Slot
Magma Host card

The Expansion Slot Utility should launch no matter what your card order is, or even if you don't have a Magma card in the computer.

It says: "Expansion Slot Utility is not intended to run on this system"

Do know that PT is running fine so far on this system with the cards placed as suggested. Also, I have 2 firewire cards in the surrounding slots (slots 2 and 4).
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:

Video Card
Open Slot
Magma Host card

It says: "Expansion Slot Utility is not intended to run on this system"

Do know that PT is running fine so far on this system with the cards placed as suggested. Also, I have 2 firewire cards in the surrounding slots (slots 2 and 4).

Which exactly model Mac do you have?

If it's working, I wouldn't worry about it...!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM

TEchsupport,

i have crackles in my audio-playback and posted this in another thread just a few minutes ago. I think its related to these slotorder-confusions. If possible please post a thread with the correct slotorders inside the MacPro for hostcard and Magma for HD cards.
Magma-manual states things opposite to digidesign Expanded Systems Guide according to slotnumbering and in this thread you say slot 3 in the mac is fine...i'm really confuse here and losing precious businesshours.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Avid

Install the host card in the lowest numbered PCIe slot in your computer. On a Windows PC, this will be the slot farthest from the graphics card. On a Mac, this will be the slot closest to the graphics card slot.

This is our official slot order recommendation - though it should not matter if you use ours or Magma's suggested slot order.

Slot order in the chassis should have the HD Core card next to the power supply, Accel cards after that and Process cards after any Accel cards.

Pops and crackles sounds like something else. Have you updated all your plug-ins? It is absolutely critical that you only have Leopard/Pro Tools 7.4.2 plug-ins installed.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Harpertown/Magma PE6R4: Correct Expansion Slot For Host Card

Here is how mine is setup.

Although my mac is the first special order 8 core, I have the Geforce 7300GT in slot one X16. The bridge card is in the 4th slot. I have the first profile selected which is X16 Lane graphics slot+one X8 Lane and Two X1 lanes. This shows both cards running at maximum speed. My core card is in the chassi farthest to the right, followed by the process cards.

It has worked flawless for me for almost a year.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Pops and crackles sounds like something else. Have you updated all your plug-ins? It is absolutely critical that you only have Leopard/Pro Tools 7.4.2 plug-ins installed.
I have kontakt 3 installed but it is not implemented in the session.Kontakt however, if used , is doing fine inspite of the negative recommendations.
Can this be misbehaving even if not used in session????
Old 07-07-2008, 02:45 PM

the hostcard is seated next to the graphicscard, on Macs motherboard its written X16 beside it.
What is prefered X16 or X4 ?