Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2002, 09:37 PM

Default Anyone added ATA-66 card in G4 867/Mix Plus for add\'n IDE data drives?

A 12/01 thread quotes Charles McConathy of Promax as stating that installing an ATA-66 card will adequately support 2nd and 3rd hard drives in a G4. The built-in ATA-66 bus in my G4 867 already supports my (Master) system drive and one (Slave) data drive, so it can't handle any more.

Has anyone done this? My current data drive is IBM Deskstar GXP120 80GB 7200RPM, so I would probably just stay with IBM for the additional drives.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-01-2002, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Anyone added ATA-66 card in G4 867/Mix Plus for add\'n IDE data drives?

yes, I have a 133 dual channel ata card internally in which i have two drives raided 0 together in my g4, it works great and the throughput is about 70 MB/s sustained.
I use seagate baracuda 60GB. The Seagates are supposed to be better for internal IDE ATA drives and IBM 60 GXPs are supposed to be better when used with firewire...
but this the IBM/Seagate thing is all hearsay...I have not confirmed that....I'm sure either IBM or Seagate would be fine
Old 06-02-2002, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Anyone added ATA-66 card in G4 867/Mix Plus for add\'n IDE data drives?

Doug,
Thanks.
Some questions regarding RAID technology, since I have not used multiple data drives before. I just want to be sure I understand how it works.

I would have three data drives: One on the built-in ATA-66 bus (along with the system drive), and two new drives on the new ATA-133 two channel RAID bus.

(1) Using the RAID controller card, are data for a single ProTools sessionalways automatically split and stored on both drives on the bus?
(2) When I later backup the data to my single external Firewire drive, will the data for a single session be consolidated back together into the backup session folder?
(3) What happens if I assign my session data folder to the data drive on the built-in ATA-66 bus (rather than one of the two drives on the new ATA-133 bus)? Are the new drives ignored in this case, with all data going to the one "old" drive?

Thanks again!
Mike