Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 AM

Default Re: LA Scoring Strings vs Hollywood Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
That all depends on which packages you buy. In order to have the same instruments as HS it is less than that.

I think that a combination of LASS and Appassionata Strings would be a good combination.

D
Is that a combo that you're using? I think they should complement each other nicely. I must investigate further. Orchestration and strings is a huge topic, and I know so little.

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Is that a combo that you're using? I think they should complement each other nicely. I must investigate further. Orchestration and strings is a huge topic, and I know so little.

Thank you.
Currently I only use Vienna and I have all the Collections. I am also a violinist and am able to track violin and viola when I want to.

However, although VSL is great, I think that the full versions will probably be overkill fr you (making some sort of assumption here). LASS has some great features, and although I have a slight issue with the tuning, and slightly anemic quality I do know know quite a few people who use it very successfully in combination with Appassionata, which gives the full bodied lush sound to complement.

Hollywood Strings sounds nice, if a little synthetic to me, but the main caveats (again from colleagues who have it) are that there are severe tuning problems and the PLAY is rather unstable.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Currently I only use Vienna and I have all the Collections. I am also a violinist and am able to track violin and viola when I want to.

However, although VSL is great, I think that the full versions will probably be overkill fr you (making some sort of assumption here). LASS has some great features, and although I have a slight issue with the tuning, and slightly anemic quality I do know know quite a few people who use it very successfully in combination with Appassionata, which gives the full bodied lush sound to complement.

Hollywood Strings sounds nice, if a little synthetic to me, but the main caveats (again from colleagues who have it) are that there are severe tuning problems and the PLAY is rather unstable.

D
You are right. It is overkill for sure. For my current projects I don't need that much. The thing that makes HS stand out is value for money. It just seems to give me more for the money I spend. But, the tuning issues I've heard are awful. I'm gonna have to wait for a while.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You are right. It is overkill for sure. For my current projects I don't need that much. The thing that makes HS stand out is value for money. It just seems to give me more for the money I spend. But, the tuning issues I've heard are awful. I'm gonna have to wait for a while.

Thanks.
It's not value for money if it takes 4 times as long to do anything because on instability though.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It's not value for money if it takes 4 times as long to do anything because on instability though.

D
I can't argue with that. When I got the quirks worked out with Play and VEP, it runs nicely on my system, so I don't fear Play as much as I did at one point. Of course, stability is very important. Valid point, Daryl.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 PM

I believe that Vienna's Appassionata full combo (the more comparable "Hollywood string" library) would set you back less than either LASS or EW's problematic library. Knowing which Vienna library to buy isn't easy - they have too many options. I really like LASS, too.

Honestly, not one single library provides the best orchestra. When writing larger pieces, I ALWAYS mix and match from different libraries, it just depends on who has the better choice for each particular instrument. If I had to choose only one it would be something from Vienna. Their software is rock solid and flexible, as are their samples, and they translate very well into a composition (assuming you have decent reverb, and who doesn't these days). They're a professional company and their dedication isn't rivaled. I don't work for them, just a long-time fan.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I believe that Vienna's Appassionata full combo (the more comparable "Hollywood string" library) would set you back less than either LASS or EW's problematic library. Knowing which Vienna library to buy isn't easy - they have too many options. I really like LASS, too.

Honestly, not one single library provides the best orchestra. When writing larger pieces, I ALWAYS mix and match from different libraries, it just depends on who has the better choice for each particular instrument. If I had to choose only one it would be something from Vienna. Their software is rock solid and flexible, as are their samples, and they translate very well into a composition (assuming you have decent reverb, and who doesn't these days). They're a professional company and their dedication isn't rivaled. I don't work for them, just a long-time fan.
Don't worry - I never thought that you worked for them. One should be allowed to be passionate about studio gear without getting accused for this and that.

Anyway, Vienna has a few different strings bundles, but from the demoes I have heard, I won't consider getting Solo or Chamber strings at this point. That leaves me with Appassionata and Orchestral strings. I've listened to the demoes, and today I did it once again, and discovered something interesting. In the description for the "Adagio for strings" demo with the Orchestral strings, it says "Appassionata violins included".
Seems a little strange to me, but I figure it's because Appassionata sounds so good.

Thanks for your insight, Eric.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 AM

No criticism allowed
Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Some of the huge tuning problems were reported months ago and even up to last week they were being ignored at best, and denied at worst.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
Old 05-09-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Some of the huge tuning problems were reported months ago and even up to last week they were being ignored at best, and denied at worst.

D
Yes, I've read a lot about that. Not wise to whack the hand that feeds you.