Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Default First vocal mic you would have bought if....

I'm looking to buy my first vocal mic and I would like to know if you would have to start all over again which one would you buy for vocals first?

If it can helps...
Type of voice and type of music (Green Day)
Audio interface: apollo quad (no external mic preamp)
Budget: 1500$ But the lower the better because I'll buy some UA plugins with the money thats left!

Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM

Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

Starting all over again from scratch, I myself would seriously consider Peluso.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-29-2014, 05:20 PM

Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1
Nice thing with this mic is it has interchangeable capsules so when your recording needs change the mic can as well without buying another mic. This is the solid state version; the Stage II is the tube version and way more expensive

QAPLA!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:14 PM

AKG C414 XL II. Used it on hundreds of vocalists now and it sounds great almost always.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM

The first mic I ever bought was the KSM 32. Going back, it still would be the first. Still using it after 14 years. In fact, bought another for drum overheads. Not as much on lead vocals any more (unless it fits the artist) as I have other mics for that now.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM

Bought a Rode Nt2-a for my nephew recently.. I was impressed so I decided to get one too

Wave-T.com
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM

I was recommended a fews mics in different price range but
how much better is a 1500$ mic or a 800$ mic vs a 400$ mic!?

In the lower price range I was recommended a blue spark,blue bluebird,Rode NT2a , SM7b all under 400$
In the 600-900 range (what I was looking at) the mojave 201 fet and the AT4050

Would I really benefit buying a mic that cost over 1000$ or should I buy one or two in the lower price range and give them try and see which one can fit my voice?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstersp View Post
I was recommended a fews mics in different price range but
how much better is a 1500$ mic or a 800$ mic vs a 400$ mic!?

In the lower price range I was recommended a blue spark,blue bluebird,Rode NT2a , SM7b all under 400$
In the 600-900 range (what I was looking at) the mojave 201 fet and the AT4050

Would I really benefit buying a mic that cost over 1000$ or should I buy one or two in the lower price range and give them try and see which one can fit my voice?
Thing to watch out for is where the mic is made and how good is the quality control? A lot of mics nowadays are made in China and very often the only real difference between two mics of different prices ranges (given similar specs) is the QC that went into the process.

Another to watch out for outside of price is that not all mics work for every voice which is why I came up with the Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1. If I had to do it over that's the mic I would buy. I do have an older AKG C414 that's really nice but not on all voices.

QAPLA!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:02 AM

A tad over $1500 but Telefunken AR-51.
Used I'm shure it's obtainable for less.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 AM

Agree with the AR-51 as you can find one under 1500 USD used. I would wait with the plugins and get a real mic first as it won't matter how many good UA plugins you buy if the recorded vocals isn't up to par.

I know Billy Joe uses Telefunken Mics so if thats your inspiration get the best mic ypu can for the money. Plugins can be bought anytime and quite often for a great deal but getting a solid good Mic is a really important thing. Lots of people overlook these kind of things and buy nice outboards and lots of synths and plugins etc etc but cheaps out on the most important gear which is the signal chain for recording a great sound and also make sure you have a GOOD monitor setup for the Apollo Quad.

Regarding the SM7 that is a Broadcast Mic and used mostly for radio and such with the few exceptions like one off with MJ and a few others but you should atleast have ONE good condensor mic and buy the other fluff afterwards.

http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.../green-day.php

Atleast thats what I would do. Basically all cheaper mics sound distorted when pushed too hard and that is as Jack said, the cheap china makes and bad QC.

You could also look for a used U87 as they can be picked up on ebay for around 1400-1600USD and it is proven to sound good on basically every voice there is. I cant count even if i was paid how many records and hitsongs have been recorded with the U87 and it's a really great allround mic and GREAT quality.

And lastly I would look for a used Brauner mic like the Phantom Classic (we have ine in mint condition for sale) 1500USD plus S&H and they are also very very nice hand built super quality mics.

I know some will jump in and say get a MXL or a cheaper RึDE mic but If you want to have a really solid nice first mic in your collection Inwould seriously stay away from anythinh under 1500 dollars. As said above the Peluso Mics are really nice mics too and I would not be a sad man having one of those as a starter mic and those kind of mics an be with you for a very long time

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————