Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Default files make no sound and don't move meters when played in Pro Tools le

I am brand new to the forum thing. Please excuse my clumsiness.

No sound, no meter movement on 1 pro tools le session

The session was fine. Then Pro Tools quit on me (which happens occasionally. Not unusual for me). When I reopened the session it looked exactly the same, but when I pushed play, although the cursor moved as usual, there was no sound and the meters didn't move at all (blank). The midi out did drive my midi device.

I trashed the preferences and removed an unneeded file the session said was missing. I restarted it and it worked again... for awhile.

A little later (an hour?) it jumped out again and when I reopened it the problem was back. Trashing the preferences did not work this time (I tried several times)

Just this one session. Other sessions are normal. I have version 6.9.2 which has worked fine for many years now. Same computer...same software etc. Only this one session is giving me a problem (so far)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Re: files make no sound and don't move meters when played in Pro Tools le

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenR View Post
I am brand new to the forum thing. Please excuse my clumsiness.

No sound, no meter movement on 1 pro tools le session

The session was fine. Then Pro Tools quit on me (which happens occasionally. Not unusual for me). When I reopened the session it looked exactly the same, but when I pushed play, although the cursor moved as usual, there was no sound and the meters didn't move at all (blank). The midi out did drive my midi device.

I trashed the preferences and removed an unneeded file the session said was missing. I restarted it and it worked again... for awhile.

A little later (an hour?) it jumped out again and when I reopened it the problem was back. Trashing the preferences did not work this time (I tried several times)

Just this one session. Other sessions are normal. I have version 6.9.2 which has worked fine for many years now. Same computer...same software etc. Only this one session is giving me a problem (so far)
Check your track output assignments and make sure they're getting to your main output. Could also be an issue with your I/O setup. Hard to say much else without more info. Go through this thread:

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

You might also want to post some screen shots of your mix window and I/O setup screen.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM

Default Re: files make no sound and don't move meters when played in Pro Tools le

Thank you Chris.
And I will get my system info up by tomorrow.
Track assignments are correct. It is as if the files are invisible to the session. No sound when soloed or not. No meter movement except on the midi channel. And, without making any changes within the session (I just trashed the preferences) It worked again for awhile, then after reopening the session, it didn't work again.
Weird
Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 PM

This probably shouldn't matter but I was changing the sustain on the midi file both times the problem happened.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Also, I went to earlier (back up) sessions. I even made a copy and opened that. None of these things worked.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM

What exactly does it do when it crashes? The error messages are "usually" a hint as to what the problem is.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks RTman26
Pro Tools just quits...No warning...No error messages.

This "suddenly quiting" is something that has been happening to me for many years. I just reload the session and continue on. Not a problem.

However, I have never encountered this "silent files and non-moving meters" before. This session looks like all the other sessions but has this problem while none of the other sessions do.

I have built a new session, and I am importing the audio files (that belong to the silent session) into it. So far so good. I just wish I knew what happened so that I can avoid it or fix it in the future.

Thanks again for considering my problem.