Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2002, 11:28 PM

Default Crossfades

Can someone explain what a cross fade is and give an example of a popular tune that has one so I can here with a musical reference what It does. Thanks Stu
Old 02-23-2002, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Crossfades

At its most elemental, one track or element fades out while another fades in...
How about the jet engine whine x-fading into Back In The U.S.S.R./Beatles White Album?
Old 02-23-2002, 11:51 PM

a crossfade is basically bringing the volume of one thing down while bringing the volume of something else up. just about any song that has had digital editing done to it where to audio files (regions in PT) have been stuck together end to end contains crossfades. when you place 2 regions together, overlap them and create a crossfade on the portions that overlap. this will bring the volume of the first region down and the volume of the second region up to help create a seamless transition between regions. the length and shape of the fades will vary depending on the situation and you'll have to listen for what sounds best. length may vary from a few milliseconds to a few seconds. a crossfade can also mean a fade between channels: moving one fader up and another one down.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:47 AM

I tend to get pop/click sounds after I did a crossfade on 2 regions. It got me so fustrated that I now do a fade-down and a fade-up individually in order not to get any clicks.

Is it my system or other setting's fault?

Regards.

-mike
Old 02-24-2002, 02:19 AM

its a digital thing...

when you have a transition (without fades) where the level sudenly changes (you will see this very clearly if you zoom in down to the sample) there will be a click/pop. What you can do is make a short crossfade between the 2 regions, or go in and straighten it out with the pencil. The pencil works destructivly....so be careful with that!!!

But for loops it works perfectly. Since it does alter the soundfile, you only have to do it once, and all your transitions with that perticular loop are smoothed out.

Bastiaan
Old 02-24-2002, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone I think I've got it