Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Default GUID vs APM?

Hello DUC:

I'm having trouble getting good information about whether Digi's standard advice:
Quote:
- Make sure all drives are formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with OS X’s Disk Utility. Pro Tools can not use UFS or HFS volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with any other application, backup the drive and reinitialize it with Disk Utility. More information:
Hard Drive Requirements - Pro Tools LE for Mac OS X
- If you are on a PowerPC (PPC) Mac, you cannot record to a GUID partitioned drive (which is typically the partition type for Intel based Mac boot/OS drives). You must reformat the drive as Apple Partition Map. APM formatted drives can be used for recording with both PPC and Intel based Macs.
...still applies to Leopard and a Intel Mac. My hard drive vendor recommended I reinitialize all my Tiger-initalized drives in Leopard for better performance and compatibility. Is this necessary for Pro Tools? And why would he say that?

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman
www.nathanielreichman.com

MacPro 2.8Ghz 8-core, 6GB RAM, 10.5.6, Pro Tools LE 8.0.0cs2 with Complete Production Toolkit, Digi 002R, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, eSATA hotswap tower, Baby HUI, Soundminer 4, Waves Platinum 6, Audio Ease All-In, Melodyne, SoundToys, Izotope RX, GRM Tools, PSP, Retrospect...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Avid

Default Re: GUID vs APM?

Quote:
My hard drive vendor recommended I reinitialize all my Tiger-initalized drives in Leopard for better performance and compatibility. Is this necessary for Pro Tools?
No, it's not in this case.

Quote:
And why would he say that?
Because, technically, he's correct - I can't say that your performance will improve, per se, but compatibility with your Intel Mac on Leopard is going to be better with a GUID drive. Compatibility, as a whole, is better with APM if you're going to be going back and forth between PPC and Intel Macs.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 AM

I've recently has a similar conundrum. My PPC Mac came with a 2nd internal drive, which I use to store all my data and sessions on. After installing PT8 I realised that it was GUID partitioned rather than Apple Partition. I didn't want to simply reformat as I'd have lost all that data (and had nowhere large enough to back it up).

But I found a fantastic app called iPartition, which was able to change the underlying partition scheme without affecting any of the data! It took about 8 hours overnight on a 260Gb drive, but at the end the drive was uncorrupted and ready for use as a PT storage drive.

I think iPartition is also available for PC. It cost me £30 but was well worth it I feel.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 AM

You only need GUID for system-drives on Intel Macs. For your Pro-Tools projects keep the drive APM. Otherwise the session will not run on PPC-systems. You will constantly get error-messages.
APM will run just fine on intel.

If you don´t like that you have to copy your sessions over to APM drives if you move them to PPCs.

If you don´t use PPCs at all you don´t need to use APM at all.

f.