Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-16-2006, 10:25 AM

Default \"Special offer\" for Toolkit?

When PT LE 7.0 was released, I bought two copies of the upgrade because I have a Mac and Windows machine. Where's the "special offer" on the Toolkit Digi touted for those of us who had previously upgraded to 7.0?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: \"Special offer\" for Toolkit?

I too, am wondering where that offer is? You didn't lie to us, did you Digi?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:47 AM

Your "special offer" is that you are lucky to spend another $300 for DV Toolkit 2! Unless you REALLY need 7.1, stick to 7.0 and use what you already have.

J.

Quote:
When PT LE 7.0 was released, I bought two copies of the upgrade because I have a Mac and Windows machine. Where's the "special offer" on the Toolkit Digi touted for those of us who had previously upgraded to 7.0?
3GB of RAM
002R interface
Old 03-16-2006, 11:57 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to Digi customer service (who I called earlier today - if you ever actually want info from Digi, just call them) the "Special Upgrade Deals" for previous PT7 purchasers has been called off - in other words, it ain't ever coming. Also of note (as being discussed on another thread), both Toolkits require you to own PT7 already, there was some verbage in one of the press releases that said the Toolkits contained upgrades to 7.1 from any previous version, but this is not the case.

Please don't shoot the messenger, I was as interested in the info as anyone else, and since Digi hasn't chimed in here about it I thought it was time to get the real scoop. Feel free to bitch away, I think it's deserved, but also remember that this is a User conference and most posts don't get read by anyone at Digi, so if you want them to know how you feel, calling or email is still the best way to get in touch with them.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to Digi customer service (who I called earlier today - if you ever actually want info from Digi, just call them) the "Special Upgrade Deals" for previous PT7 purchasers has been called off - in other words, it ain't ever coming. Also of note (as being discussed on another thread), both Toolkits require you to own PT7 already, there was some verbage in one of the press releases that said the Toolkits contained upgrades to 7.1 from any previous version, but this is not the case.

Please don't shoot the messenger, I was as interested in the info as anyone else, and since Digi hasn't chimed in here about it I thought it was time to get the real scoop. Feel free to bitch away, I think it's deserved, but also remember that this is a User conference and most posts don't get read by anyone at Digi, so if you want them to know how you feel, calling or email is still the best way to get in touch with them.
That's terrible for the people that wanted the upgrade. I mean sure I'd like the Multi-Beat Detective and 48 tracks. But as of right now, I don't care for either.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 PM

Wow - I am stunned if this is true. You've always been pretty accurate in your posts, but I'm gonna call cs just to confirm, cause this would be just about the stupidest business move Digi could've made. They should at least offer the option of purchasing the BD and 48 tracks features separate. Wow. If this is true, Digi may be soley responsible for a biggest surge in DP competetive upgrade and Logic Express sales in recent history. I'm need to hear this for myself. If it's true, I'll be selling both LE rigs, picking up an M-Powered rig just to Pro Tools compatability and all the PT audio editing features I still love, and moving on to Digital Performer. This bums me out. Oh well.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info, Slim Shady.

They'll definitely hear about it from me.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Avid

Hi folks, Slim is correct.

The current versions of the Toolkits being sold do not include a free upgrade to PT 7, they only include an update to PT 7.1. You must own PT 7 to use either of the new Toolkits.

When the product was originally "sneek peeked" at NAMM it was scheduled to include the full version of PT 7. At the time we felt that customers who had already purchased PT 7 should be allowed to qualify for special pricing as they had already purchased PT 7.

This scenario has now changed. During the final financial review of the pre-released product it was determined that including PT 7 in this upgrade would expose us to some revenue reserve issues and support issues going forward. Based on this we reluctantly removed the PT 7 upgrade from the products.

We do feel that the Toolkits with the additional tracks and bundled plug-ins represent a excellent value for many of our users looking to expand their music and/or post production capabilities. However, we do apologize for the miss-communication and confusion.

DigiCS
Old 03-16-2006, 02:23 PM

I just wrote to customer service as well. I've pretty much resigned myself to trading my Digi gear for an 1814 M-Powered set up, and picking up the DP Competative Crossgrade (seems to range from $299 to $350 online) to get the those so-called "supercharging features" and then some (DP has full Beat Detection, unlimited tracks, full music/sound to video capability, the capability of moving directly into the HD world without spending more than the cost of a car and full, automatic plug-in delay compensation) but it is a shame - I love Pro Tools. Thank God for M-Powered though - otherwise, I'd have to just grin and bear it. I just don't get it though - it's like with the whole M-Powered thing and with the Music Production Toolkits decisions, it's like Avid is conspiring against itself to give away it's current project/consumer marketshare, and in turn, future pro/HD market share - what a Les-Moonves-style business move -what are they thinking?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 PM

DigiCS,

Well thanks for responding - I'll definately give you credit there. I have to say though, I still think you guys could make a killing just offering the option of purchasing the "supercharging" features alone for $99 - I'm sure plenty of people would still buy the $500 package with the plug-ins, plus you wouldn't alienate nearly as many of those who have been so loyal and tolerated the feet-dragging on stuff like full Beat Detective or getting rid of the 32-Track limitations. Hell, if you guys threw in automatic delay compensation, I'd pay $200 and that's without the plug-ins - you'd actually make more money and retain customers that might otherwise leave (like myself) - plus it's cheaper to maintain customers that develop a new base. I love Pro Tools and respect Avid and Digi immensely, which is why it's so frustrating to watch such a great company blow-it due to short-term-profit thinking - especially when there are win-win options like having the features be available minus the plug-ins for a lesser price. Let's be frank here - everyone knows that the "supercharged" features will likey be standard, free features within a couple of updates. I can only speak for myself, but I'd still pay $100 for them right now - but I won't repurchase a plug-in I've already bought and I won't pay $500 for a bunch of plug-ins I don't need just so I can have those features thrown in with the deal. Like it or not, that is the way a lot of people are going to see this move and it comes off as just dumb - especially in light of the fact that your major competitors and even most smaller ones already offer all these so called "supercharged" features for free. This, along with the notorious Power Harness issues (which, by the way are STILL not addressed in the answerbase, where they so cleary should be) in enough to make a Digi loyalist like myself feel like a total chump, and no one likes feeling like a chump. Anyhow, much respect for responding, and for as much negative stuff as I have to say on this subject, I have to say that one very bright spot still shining at Digi is this board and the Digi Support and Customer service staff that respond on it! So I'm gonna stop on a positive note - hope Digi wakes up and rethinks it's approach to this whole thing.