Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-15-2012, 03:01 AM

Default -9171 and -9172 errors with Pro Tools HD 10.3 on HDX

PT keeps stopping with errors - mostly (-9172).

"Audio processing could not complete due to conflicts with other CPU tasks or a potential clocking issue..."

My setup is:

OS 10.8.1
(fresh installed on OWC SSD drive and settings imported with migration)
PT10HD 10.3.0 + HDX2
(preferences deleted + disk permissions repaired)
Mac Pro 3.06ghz x 2 (12 core), 40gb ram.

It doesn't seem to be really related to the number of tracks.
I just tried to bounce a track with about 30 audio tracks. No VI's.

Play back engine was set to:
512 samples, 11 processors (of 24), cpu limit: 85%, 256 voices, delay comp: max, cache size: 4gb, plugin buffer: level 2.

It stopped during the bounce.
I changed the buffer to a maximum 1024 and it got through.

But this can't be right... the fastest setup I could get my hands on and then this...

I had similar problems yesterday with about 5 tracks and recording a cue vocal...

Any ideas?

Boe

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 10-22-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Subject updated from "PT 10.3 HD just keeps stopping - help please" and merged similar threads.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Default Re: PT just keeps stopping - help please

I can't say for sure but OS 10.8.1 I don't think this is supported yet.
CPU usage . I find it works best at 99 . I had it set to 95 for a while and it was stopping . Im not a expert at PT and CPU optimization but for me setting the the hyper threading to 2 maybe 4 less than all available. That seams to work best for me. On my system HDX seems to want all the go power my mac has to offer but given what HDX can do maybe thats just the new way of things . But again just what works best on my rig and I honestly couldn't say if theres a better way or not.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Have you done anything to check clocking issues? What are your interfaces and how are you driving clocking on /between them? Do you have a synch HD connected to your card but not in use?

I would definitely leave the CPUs left at one less than the physical cores until you are stable (12-1 = 11)

You have fully optimized your system right? e.g. Disabled power management? What drive (make/model/specs) are you recording audio to?

I have no experience with HDX but I would suspect your RTAS and AAX native plugins here. Take all your plugins out of Pro Tools (physically move aside all the plugins in the plugin folders (remember RTAS and AAX live in different places). Start Pro Tools and see if the the problem goes away, if it has gone away reintroduce some of the plugins (starting with standard Avid ones) and see when it comes back. Check your plugins are up to date, I would be suspect this more if you did not do a uninstall (with clean option) before a PT 10 full install. I don't just care about the plugins you were using, but all of them in the plugin folders.

Darryl
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 AM

BTW you mentioned the word "migration" you did not try to migrate Pro Tools or third party plugins or VIs (it's PT and complex VIs that I really care about) did you? if you did I would uninstall all of them, every last thing and do full clean installs.

Darryl
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Update to pt 10.3. They fixed a lot of dae errors
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Update to pt 10.3. They fixed a lot of dae errors
Read his post, he is on 10.3.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Have you done anything to check clocking issues? What are your interfaces and how are you driving clocking on /between them? Do you have a synch HD connected to your card but not in use?

I would definitely leave the CPUs left at one less than the physical cores until you are stable (12-1 = 11)

You have fully optimized your system right? e.g. Disabled power management? What drive (make/model/specs) are you recording audio to?

I have no experience with HDX but I would suspect your RTAS and AAX native plugins here. Take all your plugins out of Pro Tools (physically move aside all the plugins in the plugin folders (remember RTAS and AAX live in different places). Start Pro Tools and see if the the problem goes away, if it has gone away reintroduce some of the plugins (starting with standard Avid ones) and see when it comes back. Check your plugins are up to date, I would be suspect this more if you did not do a uninstall (with clean option) before a PT 10 full install. I don't just care about the plugins you were using, but all of them in the plugin folders.

Darryl
Hey Darryl (and others)
Thanks so much for taking you time replying.

Sync:
I don't have a Sync unit. I got two 16/16 i/o's and one 192D. They are all loop synced.

Power management:
You're thinking about the energy saver setting? It's off. The harddrive setting is set to power off when idle though...
But PT is caching the session anyway so that should not be the thing.

Audio drive:
I'm recording onto a WD Raptor 10.000rpm 300gb drive. Has never been anything but good.

Installation:
So you advise is to remove and install PT from clean. Then install all plugins from scratch one at a time. This would be VERY time-consuming, but if that's what it takes I'll do it.

Thanks again.

Boe
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
I can't say for sure but OS 10.8.1 I don't think this is supported yet.
Mountain Lion has been qualified for PT 10.3.0

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en436391

Boe
Old 09-15-2012, 12:13 PM

10.3 and 10.8.1 HDX1 here with no issue so far.

Did you try without the UAD ?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
10.3 and 10.8.1 HDX1 here with no issue so far.

Did you try without the UAD ?
Ok - no but could try that.