Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 12-13-2022, 03:23 PM

Default error occurred while trying to load the controller personalty c|24

i had a problem which just came out of nowhere, my pro tools program would not be recognised by iLok. after a few days of reading around i managed to fix the problem. I had to download and install a driver from the iLok website, reinstall it and pro tools seem to be working fine. it loads every time. But now my c|24 will not content with pro tools via ethernet which is what i always used and it worked fine up until i installed the driver from iLok.

I get this message from c24 everytime after i do a scan, select c24 and then ok: "error occurred while trying to load the controller personally c|24"
I've looked everywhere and cannot find a fix. trying to get help from Avid is a dead end. i can't find a way how to talk to them. i can't even buy a onetime phone call pass.

My System. Mac os 9.6.8 using pro tools 9.0.6.

Can anyone help please.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:27 PM

Default Re: error occurred while trying to load the controller personalty c|24

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleman View Post
My System. Mac os 9.6.8 using pro tools 9.0.6.
Nope, you sure are not running Pro Tools 9 on Mac OS 9. And provide clear info what hardware you are running on.

What changed? A mac software update? You installed other apps? Updated Pro Tools? Changed Ethernet wiring or other networking stuff? Added other devices onto the network?

What interface are you using? Does that all work fine without the C|24?

Have you tried standard troubleshooting steps under "Help us Help You" up the top of every DUC web page? -- for now trash prefs and test from a newly created admin user account.

It's unclear, but I expect Avid support would not want to provide support to ancient Pro Tools 9 software. And your C24 end of support is in a few weeks.

The way support should work is you purchase an ASC here

https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...cident-support

And submit an incident here

https://avid.secure.force.com/Suppor...onCaseCreation

Start off by filling in basic info, search for answers, then file a support incident using the ASC you purchased.

But again I suspect you won't get support for Pro Tools 9.

You will find past reports of similar problems if you use google search (not the useless forum search), and spell the error message correctly. e.g. search for

"Error occurred while trying to load the controller personality" c|24 site:duc.avid.com

try variations of avid.com (to also find any knowledge base articles) and different C|24 c24 spellings etc. but even other non c24 control surface threads may give you ideas.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-13-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:41 PM

First of all Darryl, this is the first time i ever came on a forum and was really nervous, thank you so much for your comments and help. So my hardware Mac OS X version 10.6.8, Processor 2 x 2.4 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Memory 32 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3
My Pro tools system is Pro Tools|HD2 system PCIe ROHS w/8. You made a good point to remind me that there was one thing i did different. I tried to install V-Control by Neyrinck. i wanted to try working on my own so wanted to use my ipad in my vocal booth as a wireless remote control. but it didn't work and so i trashed it. i didn't notice it in that moment as I got a bit down knowing the V-controller was not going to be a option for me. so i switched off for a break and watched one of the world cup games. After a few hours that's when i noticed I had big problems and Pro tools would not load up. i kept getting the message " AUTHORIZATION ERROR.- Pro Tools 9 cannot run. Required software is missing or not running. Please reinstall the product. or download and run the driver installer here: http://www.paceap.com

And when i clicked OK got a second message, - Error, missing iLok authorization for "Pro Tools 9" Please insert the necessary iLok and restart Pro Tools. I spent the whole weekend trying to figure out what on earth went wrong. I thought my iLok was broken and almost bought a new one which would have meant sending my key back and wait for weeks to get a new one. until i read a thread by someone who suggested download and install License Support installer v2.5.3 r36923 - I did that and it did the trick. i was so happy to see Pro tools come back, but that's when the error message for the c|24 happened. and i still have it.

Regarding support from Avid, i tried everything to try and buy a one off support ticket but no matter how i tried, it kept sending me in circles. So thank you for your link. And that's my story. Pro tools has been working fine no issues for years and years until what i did above. i am so scared that i might be told to reinstall the whole pro tools again from scratch and I am so worried about all my settings and hundreds of plug-ins that are working fine now, but won't if i have to reinstall. i hope i can avoid that.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:43 AM

Hi Darryl, I'm not sure if you got my reply. i'm still new to this and i can't see an acknowledgement that it was sent. But i am just so frustrated with my problem, i@ve been up the night and most of the day and i cannot find anything on the internet to help my case. i tried to contact Avid again. i followed your link and it does the same thing, i manage to select the ASC, send it to the basket, but when you go to pay, it just cycles back to the start of the process.

I can't believe you just can't contact a company that you spent so much money with. they are making it purposely so difficult to contact them. May i ask you a question, do you think i should just reinstall my pro tools? i am just so worried i will lose my work over the years, and all my plug ins. Is there a way you can install pro tools without losing your settings and plugins. And how do you do it. i'm so sorry if it sounds basic but i've not done this before. With the few threads that i have read with slightly similar issues, re-installed which seemed to solve the problem. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:46 PM

Hey welcome to DUC. Don't worry about being new. Have a good read of the stuff under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. It has a lot of info there on optimization and troubleshooting. Including trashing prefs which you need to try (read on first). Maybe also have a read of the "Community Terms of Use" as well, the no cross posting rule is what trips up many new users.

Your replies were delayed as an anti-spam measure on DUC for newly signed up users. It's an unfortunately needed thing to block spammers, but I wish the system would make clear to new users what is going on.

OK a HD2 system on a cheese grater, which explains in large part why you are on Pro Tools 9.

It's been a long while since I messed with V-Console/V-Control (and kudos to Neyrinck for providing great Avid legacy product support). What exactly did you install? Current V-Control or the legacy software?

Neyrink seems to claims current V-Control requires OS X 10.9/10.10 or later, so if you used that it might be start of your problems. I have no idea, and it's kinda unclear if you just want to use it with V-Console on an iPad, it's almost like Neyrink does not want to talk about V-Console.

How exactly did you "trash" V-Control? I can't recall if the software include an uninstaller or sure if there are uninstall directions anywhere, or if stuff uninstalls cleanly if installed on a down-rev OS X version.

You installed (too recent for your system?) Neyrink software that included versions of Pace Eden/iLok library software that was incompatible with your old Pro Tools and/or OS X version. When you finally installed the right pace software versions things worked.

Do you have a current systems backup you can roll back to? That may well be the simplest thing to do if other stuff does not work. Ideally you have multiple backups on different media/stored in different places. If not well that's the second problem you need to solve. On this old system I'd be using a legacy copy of Carbon Copy Cloner to make backups. While you can download that still I'm not sure you can buy legacy licenses any more.

Reinstalling Pro Tools is usually the last thing to do when troubleshooting, but lots of folks seem to want to jump to do that early for every problem, I do not know why (not to say it might well fix this problem, I just don't know but it is not where I would start). And reinstalling Pro Tools itself does not delete plugins. I would not reinstall Pro Tools until you have done more thought troubleshooting.

Have you tried power cycling the Mac and C24. The C24 shows up over Ethernet?

The HD2 is working perfectly? If you leave the C24 off?

The first thing you should be doing when you have any problem is trashing prefs. See under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page. And trashing prefs will reset all the preferences you have saved in Pro Tools. You can make copies of the files instead of deleting them. The files you need to trash have changed over time, you *have* to follow the instructions for your OS X and Pro Tools version. Unfortunately OS X 10.6 is not compatible with old versions of Pete Gates very nice PT Prefs utility so you need to trash these by hand. All part of the cost of supporting this old setup and you need to be completely comfortable trashing prefs, and doing so quickly any time there is a problem. If you've already done this then you just say so.

If after trashing prefs you still have the same problem. Try creating a new mac user account with admin privileges and try running Pro Tools from there.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:49 PM

---

I cannot recall where stuff lives in Pro Tools 9. But on Ventura, with 2022.10 this is what I see for C24 related files.

/Users/user/Documents/Pro Tools/IO Settings/C24 LE Stereo.pio
/Users/user/Documents/Pro Tools/IO Settings/C24 Mix.pio
/Applications/Pro Tools/Contents/SharedSupport/Factory Content/IO Settings/C24 LE Stereo.pio
/Applications/Pro Tools/Contents/SharedSupport/Factory Content/IO Settings/C24 Mix.pio
/Applications/Pro Tools/Contents/Frameworks/Controllers/C24.bundle

The C24.bundle is the "personality file". I can't recall if it ever gets copied some place else if a C24 is actually connected.

After trashing prefs and testing from a new admin account, if stuff still does not work you maybe can try searching for similar files. In Terminal.app type:

Code:
$ sudo find / -name C24\* -print
(and enter your password)
($ is the command prompt, that may be different for you, don't enter that)

To find all files starting with C24 anywhere on your computer (may take a while to finish).
Old 12-14-2022, 07:51 PM

As for buying ASCs I have no idea what is going on, last times I've needed to purchase an ASC was a few years ago and it worked fine. Some of the workflow and documentation around all this seems poorly maintained, e.g. Avid lists support phone numbers that are disconnected. The ASC stuff still talks about phone contact being preferred when the rest of support seems to be email preferred etc. Avid support could really do with cleaning up some of this. Other users here can't do the the actual purchase of an ASC to see if it works or not so best if somebody from Avid could weigh in. Other folks report problems getting followup after they have purchased ASCs recently for license transfers but in some of those cases I suspect it was user confusion helped along by the somewhat byzantine way of opening a support incident. But again I'm not sure what help support would even give you on a past end of support life system.

Jeffro (avid employee on DUC) does care and is great, and if he will find this thread and maybe can clarify if ASC purchasing has had a problem and if Avid support will even support legacy HD systems with email or phone support.

(And my post broken up into parts because of yet another occurrence of the "Access Denied" forum/Akami bug).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-15-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:03 AM

Questions:
1-Why would you use Neyrinck software when that setup SHOULD all be compatible with Avid/Digidesign drivers? Using stock drivers is going to give much better integration with the surface than HUI(which is what Neyrinck is using)
2-Is the C24 in question actually the C24, or is it the older Control24? Curious, but either should work fine with this computer and OS.
3-exactly how is the C24 connected? Thru a network switch, a router, direct with a crossover cable? Was any of this changed?
4-have you re-installed the C24 software?(I would)
5-have you double-checked that the C24 is still configured under Peripherals?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-29-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Questions:
1-Why would you use Neyrinck software when that setup SHOULD all be compatible with Avid/Digidesign drivers? Using stock drivers is going to give much better integration with the surface than HUI(which is what Neyrinck is using)
Because as the OP explained he was trying to use the Neyrick V-Control Pro software on an iPad to remote control stuff from his vocal booth. Seems a perfectly good idea.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Because as the OP explained he was trying to use the Neyrick V-Control Pro software on an iPad to remote control stuff from his vocal booth. Seems a perfectly good idea.
Aha, I missed that and it certainly is a dandy idea. Another remote control option that served me well was to use an HDMI splitter(my screens ran HDMI inputs via DVI-HDMI adapter cables) so I could have a duplicate monitor in the vocal booth via a 25' HDMI cable(no issues at 1920x1080). I also had a mini keyboard with track pad over a 25' USB extension cable and mounted it all on a rolling On-Stage stand. I remember Neyrinck having an older version and wonder if the OP is trying to use a new version that maybe isn't happy with his older setup? Paul Neyrinck has an active facebook page and is very helpful

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave