Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 AM

Default Can I use any of these "guitar" audio interfaces with PT10 HD and Asio4all?

Hi. I need a very small, very portable method of recording guitar to Pro Tools on my laptop, without using a proper interface (ie mbox), so I can literally just plug the guitar in at one end, and then the interface into the USB of the laptop. Then monitor what I'm playing via the headphone out of the interface so there's (hopefully?) no latency.

I'm not bothered about quality - this is just so I can quickly get ideas down.

So I've been looking at the IK Stealthplug, which says its compatible with PT - but will that work with PT 10 HD? Or will I have to use Asio4All to record with it?

Also looking at the Peavey xPort.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Cheers
Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Can I use any of these "guitar" audio interfaces with PT10 HD and Asio4all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerob View Post
Hi. I need a very small, very portable method of recording guitar to Pro Tools on my laptop, without using a proper interface (ie mbox), so I can literally just plug the guitar in at one end, and then the interface into the USB of the laptop. Then monitor what I'm playing via the headphone out of the interface so there's (hopefully?) no latency.

I'm not bothered about quality - this is just so I can quickly get ideas down.

So I've been looking at the IK Stealthplug, which says its compatible with PT - but will that work with PT 10 HD? Or will I have to use Asio4All to record with it?

Also looking at the Peavey xPort.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Cheers
Hi,

Any interface that has an asio driver should work ok with PT

Better quality interfaces generally have better latency performance or see if you can get one with direct monitor through for monitoring your guitar whilst recording.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Can I use any of these "guitar" audio interfaces with PT10 HD and Asio4all?

Hi Chris,

Thanks! So if the interface has it's own asio driver, does that mean I don't have to use Asio4all to get PT to recognise it?

The Peavey Xport thing says it has an asio driver, and it also says it has a headphone output - this would surely be monitoring what's going into the interface wouldn't it? Ie Direct Monitoring? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks

George
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 AM

ASIO4All is something you install if you don't have another interface. It allows you to use your computer's built in input/output.

But if you're using any hardware interface, like the ones you mentioned, then they have their own drivers, so no need to install ASIO4All.

As for direct monitoring, that is where the interface has a function like a mixer, where it sends the direct signal to your headphones or speakers before it goes through the digital conversion, to provide no-latency monitoring.

It looks like neither of those interfaces have that. This is actually not desirable if you're using guitar amp software, because then you'll have your clean guitar sound and not the amp simulated sound.

With units like these, you just need to set your buffer in the software to a low number.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 AM

nst7, thank you that's great, I understand it now.

My laptop is an i7, so hopefully a combination of that and the fact these 2 interfaces have their own drivers will mean I won't have any latency if I'm listening to the guitar via PT and then via my amp then? I have been told that I may get latency if I'm going to the amp via an HDMI lead though.. What do you think? If so then I'll just use a RCA to jack lead and come off the laptops headphone out or the line out of the interface I suppose. I know none of this is ideal, but I just need it to be as simple as possible to pick up my guitar and record to PT.

I have other equipment and interfaces for proper recording. But it just takes too long to set up for everyday use.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 AM

There's also the AxePort Pro from CEntrance.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
There's also the AxePort Pro from CEntrance.

Cheers,
Wow, that looks the business. Way out of the budget I'm talking about unfortunately! Damn. Thanks though.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 AM
zolko

So what is the budget for that project? Almost every tiny USB 2I/2O interface has guitar input. If it has decent ASIO driver (working with PT) and Round Trip Latency of 10ms, it should do the job for 20-70$ second hand.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 AM

zolko - I already have a 2I/2O interface at home, but I don't have the room anymore to keep a Pro Tools setup permanently set-up. So I'm after a 1i/1o, single input device like those mentioned above so i can just plug in and play. I'm looking at about £30 - £40, second hand or new. But all of those mentioned above seem scarce 2nd hand, so might have to be new.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerob View Post
Wow, that looks the business. Way out of the budget I'm talking about unfortunately! Damn. Thanks though.
How did you get a price? Went to the page and when I clicked on the buy button up came a page saying 'sorry this product is not available'.

QAPLA!