How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 01:23 AM

Default problems on "solo" button and cabling

For Digi 001:

1.Does the "solo" button not work for MIDI channel?

2.The audio inputs of channel 3,5,7 (all on the upper roll) at the back of the interface all have bad connections to the 1/4" cable adaptors whereas the lower roll (channel 4,6,8) all sound fine. I have to juggle the cables on top so often it begins to get on my nerves. I'm not sure whether this is the hardware (Digi 001) problem, or it's just that I've got very crappy cables. (If the latter one turns out to be the problem, pls advise)

thanx a million
Shirley
Old 01-30-2002, 04:32 AM

Default Re: problems on "solo" button and cabling

1) solo does work with midi, but if you solo a midi track, you also need to solo the aux track bringing in the audio for that midi track. if you ctrl+click on the solo button on the aux track, you can solo-safe the track so that it will never mute when another track is soloed.

2) this is a widespread problem. i started a thread about this last week on the 001/pc forum. its driving me crazy too. you're probably gonna have to replace it. i'm gonna return mine this week. i emailed digi about this and here is the reply:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Brian,
-Although your interface may very well be in need of repair, first check your unit with a cable which meets the specifications described below. If you still experieince the same results (i.e. no audio output), please contact tech support via phone to get an RA issued for the Digi001 interface (we warranty all hardware for 1 year from purchase date). Please make sure you have you have submitted your registration before calling:
650-731-6100

-The stacked TRS jack we currently use on the 001 is a Cliff Electronics part number CL1125W.

-This is a standard TRS jack which has internal contacts for Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. When you insert your 1/4" plug into the jack, each separate part of the plug should be touching the respective T, R, and S contacts.

Shoulder of the 1/4" TRS plug fits against outside of plastic threaded housing.
Depth of plastic threaded housing is 9.35mm.
Distance to first contact from inner edge of housing is 4.25mm.
This means that the total distance from the outside of the housing to the first ("S") contact is 13.60mm.

The next contact is 6.35mm away from the first contact.
This means that the total distance from the outside of the housing to the second ("R") contact is 19.95mm.

The next contact is another 6.35mm farther from the shoulder.
This means that the total distance from the outside of the housing to the final ("T") contact is 26.3mm.

Last, but not least, make sure the metal ring of each jack is tightened firmly against the back panel of the Digi001 interface chassis.

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't know about you, but i don't have a patch-cord-ometer to bring to the music store just to buy cables. and i refuse to spend $1,000 on monster cables. from this email, you'd think they expect us all to have a house full of bunson burners and beakers....

i'm not ed nye, science guy, i just want the basic functionality of plugging a 1/4" jack in the back and having it work. call tech support to get a return. they have a 1 year warranty. and like the email says, don't forget to register before you call....
Old 01-31-2002, 06:15 AM

Default Re: problems on "solo" button and cabling

I have the same problem too. Two of the top row inputs only work if I dont insert the plugs all the way in.

Has anyone tried to open a DIGI001? Is it an option to open it up and hardwiring the bastard?