Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM

Default Eleven Rack and G major 2: help! (FX loop)

Hey guys!

I want to use the 11R amp sims and G major 2 effects:

What is the correct way of connecting the g major to the eleven rack through the FX loop with two short cables? im using left (mono) input/output and it sounds very good. inside the eleven rack, could I place the FX loop where I want?

I noticed that If I put the "FX LOOP" box at the end of the signal chain the effects from the g major it sounds really really good, except for the whammy (sounds too digital) and WAH ('toe up' position sounds loud and harsh and "toe down" sounds low, very low).

And if I do the reverse, at the start of the signal chain or just before the amp, the reverb sounds horrible and all the modulation effects sounds awful but the whammy and wah sound pretty good. So... Is there a way to make all the FX from the g major sound good inside the eleven rack? where i should place the "fx loop" for all the FX to sound good?

I know that reverbs and other effects use to sound good at the end of the signal chain, and wah and whammy sounds pretty good before the amp. My problem is that i cant place them all separately.

Im really frustrated!

Thank you :)!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack and G major 2: help! (FX loop)

"Correct" has no meaning here, it is the wrong thing to pursue. Do whatever you need to create the tones you want.

You already know the G major effects cannot be separated. And you also already seem to know that you can move the FX Loop anywhere you want. The FX loop is mono in and out until the FX Loop is downsteam of a Stereo Effect.. if so you want to run a stereo pair of cables to G Major. If this is news to you, or even if it is not, open up the Eleven Rack User Guide and have a good read, it is very well written and contains lots of useful info.

It is common that reverb and delay effects sound good in a real amp's FX loop and that boost (well duh), distortion/fuzz (duh again), wah and some other effects sound best when run in front of the preamp section. But do whatever works best for you. The FX Loop is never exactly like a real amplifier (e.g. never sits between the amp preamp and power section). That's somethign interesting I'd have liked to have the Eleven Rack do, bu I'm not holding onto any hope of future enhancements. And note the warning in the User Guide about phasing/comb effects using digital effects processors (like you are) in the FX loop.

The Eleven Rack has some decent built in effects, one thing to try is to split the effects you want between the G Major and the Eleven Rack. Leave the effects there that work best in the G major and run the other effects in the eleven Rack either with the things like the Stereo Reverb plugin after the amp, and the FX/loop with G Major with it's mod etc. effects placed before the amp or visa versa. A huge number of permutations for you to play with. Play as well with FX loop level and mix controls as you do all this.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That's somethign interesting I'd have liked to have the Eleven Rack do, but I'm not holding onto any hope of future enhancements.
What ???? Are you a prophet???????
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM

No just avoiding being a blind optimist, given that the architect/lead developer and most of the product group have long departed from Avid. And proof is in the pudding, there has not exactly been much updating going on with the Eleven Rack. And none outside of driver updates, and those are all installer/OS change tweeks that likely do not take anybody who knows the guts of the Eleven Rack system itself to do. If some time in the future we get a GUI editor update as previously promised I'll be happy.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If some time in the future we get a GUI editor update as previously promised I'll be happy.
Yes sir - most happy

I would say contract it out to a bunch in India and write an exp3 upgrade GUI -
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 PM

Thank you very much!