Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Output to Amp 1 (front), no sound? PT LE8

Relaxing on my holiday with 11R. Have some trouble.

I am using Windows PT 8 LE. Guitar input. I have Front Amp #1 output connected to the L input of my Roland Mobile Cube. I used the Reamp template to start my session. I can hear the guitar with 11R.

I imported a backing track. When I hit play, the line levels on track and is Master show sound. Nothing from Roland? Output on track is set to Master Out LR.

???

Main output in back (XLR L) works fine. But can't I use the front to amp for the same thing?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Output to Amp 1 (front), no sound? PT LE8

If I understand you right you want to hear your playback track on the Roland correct?
Go to your backing track and set output to amp out.

If your master is set to stero main and nothing is connected to them you couldnt hear anything.

I'm not at home. So I'm not shure if you could change the masters out to amp out. You could give it a try.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Never could figure it out. Odd. The guitar sound came out the 11R front "OUTPUT to AMP 1 (Left)" port and into my Roland Mobile Cube (great product BTW) "L/MONO GUITAR" Input. Of course, this is when I armed a separate track for the guitar. The imported audio was on a separate track and would not play. I tried changing output on track. The track meter showed a signal. Just never came out Cube.

I decide to start all over and did not select the "Reamp" template but used the Guitar template and I'm a go now. Not sure what was wrong first time. I was hoping to reamp.

I love the 11R. I find Pro Tools to be a real challenge. I have the PT LE 8.0X. I run on a Windows Vista Dual Core 2 gHz with 4gig Ram and external firewire harddrive. I have followed all (but one - turn off Aero) performance tips.

It is an unreliable setup that keeps me spending more time on the DAW than creating, practicing and learning. The long bootup time is a drag too. Or waiting through temporary PT freezes. My PT experience and the fact that I can't use 11R with another DAW as a plug in makes me regret puchasing this at this point. I can't afford a new computer right now and certainly can afford to upgrade PT. The sound of the 11R is amazing! I would love for it all to work. But I get snipits of time to sit down, start up and start my music. This setup doesn't allow for that. Studio One 2 does, REAPER does, Live does.

So please, please, please Avid, release a stand alone VST plug in for the 11R.

If anyone else has tips to improve my 11R, PT LE 8.0X experience, I'm all ears.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzler View Post
Never could figure it out. Odd. The guitar sound came out the 11R front "OUTPUT to AMP 1 (Left)" port and into my Roland Mobile Cube (great product BTW) "L/MONO GUITAR" Input. Of course, this is when I armed a separate track for the guitar. The imported audio was on a separate track and would not play. I tried changing output on track. The track meter showed a signal. Just never came out Cube.

I decide to start all over and did not select the "Reamp" template but used the Guitar template and I'm a go now. Not sure what was wrong first time. I was hoping to reamp.

I love the 11R. I find Pro Tools to be a real challenge. I have the PT LE 8.0X. I run on a Windows Vista Dual Core 2 gHz with 4gig Ram and external firewire harddrive. I have followed all (but one - turn off Aero) performance tips.

It is an unreliable setup that keeps me spending more time on the DAW than creating, practicing and learning. The long bootup time is a drag too. Or waiting through temporary PT freezes. My PT experience and the fact that I can't use 11R with another DAW as a plug in makes me regret puchasing this at this point. I can't afford a new computer right now and certainly can afford to upgrade PT. The sound of the 11R is amazing! I would love for it all to work. But I get snipits of time to sit down, start up and start my music. This setup doesn't allow for that. Studio One 2 does, REAPER does, Live does.

So please, please, please Avid, release a stand alone VST plug in for the 11R.

If anyone else has tips to improve my 11R, PT LE 8.0X experience, I'm all ears.
I don't think you understand how the reamp works. When you select "REAMP" settings for the 11R, the output to amp is DISABLED, because it's running the signal of the amp out back through USB.

Secondly, I use my 11R with reaper all day long. I reamp and everything as well. You just have to know which input is which.

For the dry track, record from Input 1.

The processed sound comes from Input 3/4 (for stereo use both)

When you want to reamp the signal in reaper, create a send from the dry track to the last input, which is the reamp input (input 8 I think). Set the Eleven rack to reamp from the rig output menu.

Create a new track and select 3/4 as the input. Turn on input monitoring and hit record.

Avid doesn't deal with VST, they have their own formats (AAX/RTAS). Eleven Rack was originally a plugin. It's available for fairly cheap now, but minus the ERXP amps.

PT8 is still blazing fast for me, even on a 13" macbook pro, so maybe your PC needs some updating, because PT8 is OLD!

If you don't want to spend time learning the industry standard, that's fine. But don't think you don't have to spend time with somethimg as deep as the eleven rack to use it. For me to start up in any DAW, I turn on the Mac, plug in the Eleven rack, click the protools icon, wait approximately 30-45 seconds and BAM! Done. I didn't install the second DVD with all the audio samples and what not so that might be why. Hell, it takes longer to boot the Mac than protools.

Read the manual.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ferrer View Post
I don't think you understand how the reamp works. When you select "REAMP" settings for the 11R, the output to amp is DISABLED, because it's running the signal of the amp out back through USB.

Secondly, I use my 11R with reaper all day long. I reamp and everything as well. You just have to know which input is which.

For the dry track, record from Input 1.

The processed sound comes from Input 3/4 (for stereo use both)

When you want to reamp the signal in reaper, create a send from the dry track to the last input, which is the reamp input (input 8 I think). Set the Eleven rack to reamp from the rig output menu.

Create a new track and select 3/4 as the input. Turn on input monitoring and hit record.

Avid doesn't deal with VST, they have their own formats (AAX/RTAS). Eleven Rack was originally a plugin. It's available for fairly cheap now, but minus the ERXP amps.

PT8 is still blazing fast for me, even on a 13" macbook pro, so maybe your PC needs some updating, because PT8 is OLD!

If you don't want to spend time learning the industry standard, that's fine. But don't think you don't have to spend time with somethimg as deep as the eleven rack to use it. For me to start up in any DAW, I turn on the Mac, plug in the Eleven rack, click the protools icon, wait approximately 30-45 seconds and BAM! Done. I didn't install the second DVD with all the audio samples and what not so that might be why. Hell, it takes longer to boot the Mac than protools.

Read the manual.
Thanks for the response. I will be more patient. I'll hang on until I can afford PT 10 and the computer to run it because I love my 11R. I did turn Aero off and I'm surprised and the performance improvement.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:13 PM

It could be that I misunderstand you. Re-amping as process don't mute the amp out. You could feed a real amp with the dry signal throug amp out and record the miced amp throug your preamp on front.
It's all about the routing of your signals. Understanding and use of routing is really essential.
Try to understand it and try to visualize routing in your head or for beginning draw it on paper. If your I/O's aren't correct set there is no sound or the sound is on the false end of your signal chain ;-)
It isn't as hard but really really important.

For re-amping is also a chapter in the manual avid describes it really good.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:52 AM

Using the internal reamp feature mutes the amp output. Ask anyone who's tried to play live after forgetting to change the rig output to rig out after a session.

Reamping using the built in mic pre an another amp obviously does not mute the amp outputs.

If you are trying to reamp with the cube, I misunderstood you,Ithouhht you were using the cube as som sort of monitor. The "reamp" template is for internal reamping, to reamp externally, you would record the dry using guitar input, play that back through the amp and record with input 7, which I think is the mic.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM

LOL. Head spinning. I will have to try and see. Yes, I openned new PT LE 8.0X session, choose the reamp template, imported an MP3 backing track on a separate track. Used the front amp output on 11R to L Mono input on Cube and got no sound. I believe I tried every output option in PT LE.

So, maybe it was that Out to AMP 1 in front of 11R is not available when reamping.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:48 PM

I'm having a problem with my Eleven Rack that may be somewhat related.

When I use Output to Amp1 (L) and Output to Amp 2 (R), the Output to Amp (L) gives me a sound that includes a clean sound and weak distortion sound, while Output to Amp 2 (R) gives me the intended full distortion tone.

When using a clean sound, Output to Amp 1 gives me the intended clean sound, while Output to Amp 2 is very faint (almost no volume). Before testing the clean sound, I had guessed that there was a problem with Output to Amp 1. I selected "Stereo" for both, and the output volume settings are the same for Amp 1 And Amp 2, for both the clean and the distortion presets.

Please help!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzler View Post
... the fact that I can't use 11R with another DAW ...
Uh, what...?

I believe that to use the 11R with another DAW you only need the Avid 11R drivers for your machine.