How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2021, 06:02 AM

Default Pro Tools not receiving MIDI from USB

Hi,

I took an Android phone and plugged it into a USB port and set the phone connection type to MIDI. If I open up a program like Pocket MIDI, then I see the new MIDI channel. Pocket MIDI sees note data coming into the channel when played on an Android keyboard. However, after rebooting Pro Tools, even though it finds the new MIDI channel, when I record enable it and select an output, the MIDI data fader does not light up when I play the virtual keyboard. Is there something special I need to do to get this to work? It seems like it should right out the box if PT recognizes the MIDI channel and data is passing through.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools not receiving MIDI from USB

Are you trying to trigger an instrument in ProTools? If so, then create a new instrument track and load a VI into one of the inserts. It sounds like PT sees the connected phone as a MIDI device, so once you record enable the track you should be able to 'play' the instrument. Make sure your track output is set to the main output of your audio interface and you should be able to hear the output of the instrument.

System Details
Old 05-26-2021, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not receiving MIDI from USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Are you trying to trigger an instrument in ProTools? If so, then create a new instrument track and load a VI into one of the inserts. It sounds like PT sees the connected phone as a MIDI device, so once you record enable the track you should be able to 'play' the instrument. Make sure your track output is set to the main output of your audio interface and you should be able to hear the output of the instrument.
Yes, absolutely, I have all this setup. That is why I'm perplexed! I have been recording MIDI in Pro Tools for 20 years. Never seen this one LOL.