Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 AM

Default can't import audio from xd cam HD MXF files

Hello,
I've been lurking around for quite a while but it's my first post.
I'm asking for help because i'm dealing more and more with MXF files containing XD Cam HD 422 video and 8 tracks of 24 bit audio.
I'm converting the video into SD photo-jpeg inside fcp and this works fine.
The problem is that PT fails to import the 8 tracks of audio.
This the only way for me to access the M&E tracks I need for mixing, and this is the only format my client is willing to send me.

So I've bought a license of Mxf import qt from: http://hamburgpromedia.com/products/...-import-qt.php
This allows me to access the mxf container in any quicktime enabled applications. It works perfectly with quicktime and final cut but not in Pro tools.

The method I use to import the mxf is to make a reference movie using save as in QT and then importing that file into pro tools.
This should work as it is exactly what neyrinck offers with it's software "mxf to pro tools"
it works for the video but never for the audio i keep getting a message saying "could not complete your request because another xxxxGB is needed"
I've plenty of space on my drives so this is surely a bug in pt.
The workaround for me is to open the mxf inside fcp and exporting the audio two track at a time. It works but takes a lot of time and is prone to human error regarding pans and such.

I've contacted hamburg pro media and they say it's a pt bug and that they can't do anything about it.
I also contacted Neyrinck tech support when trying their demo software and they told me that they were sure that avid fixed that bug in pt10.. But it's still there on my machine..

Does anyone here is dealing with a similar scenario? Any help would be greatly appreciated 'cause I feel I've tried anything I could think of( trashing prefs, clean install, repairing permissions, booting in 64bits)
And I absolutely need to find a quick and reliable workflow for those files.
The rig is a PT 10.3.2 with CPTK on a 2010 quad-core mac pro with 6gb of ram.
Thanks!