Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2023, 01:43 AM

Default Tricking Macbook Pro M1 into running 192/24 projects?

Hi
Is there any way to make PT open a 192/24 project and play it back on my Macbook Pro M1?

I was surprised, that a top notch Macbook's soundcard is limited to 96k. So even OPENING am existing 192/24 project is not possible without connecting an external interface.

I do quite a lot of on location recordings using RME's DuRec functionality (standalone mode recording directly to SSD) in 192/24 and would love to import the files into PT and do rough edits right on the Macbook.
That would come in handy when traveling etc. and not wanting (or being able) to set up the whole shebang.

Maybe, there is some "virtual soundcard", that resamples on the fly and can act as an intermediate between PT and Macbok's soundcard or any other workaround.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2023, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Tricking Macbook Pro M1 into running 192/24 projects?

What happens if you use the Pro Tools Aggregate device and set the onboard I/O in the device to resample?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-01-2023, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
What happens if you use the Pro Tools Aggregate device and set the onboard I/O in the device to resample?
Thanks Top Jimmy for your speedy answer!

Not sure how I would set it to resample.

I just tried this:
- Audio-Midi-Setup
- Chose PT Aggregate Device - right click - use this device to play soud
- in the list of devices, picked Mac Book Pro loudspeaker
- choice of sample rates: 96k was the highest, chose this
- opened PT - Setup - Playback Engine, set it to PT Aggregate
- tried to open a 192k project
- error message: this device does not support sample rates of 192k
- went back to Audio-Midi-Setup: "clock source" is MacBook loudspeaker and greyed out (thus the 96k limit, I guess)
- activating "drift correction" did not change anything

still stuck with 96k - any ideas? Thanks!
Old 04-01-2023, 03:12 AM

You can only set the aggregate device to the highest sample rate the lowest device supports (in this case 96k)

There aren't any virtual devices that go over 96k (AFAIK)

Pro Tools needs to clock to the CoreAudio device for its playback engine. So the CoreAudio device has to actually be at that rate (not a resample/SRC) as reported to Pro Tools. On Macs, (as many times as I've tested), applications can resample before talking to the CoreAudio device but Pro Tools doesn't operate that way.

(Like you can play a hires Audio file from Apple Music, etc. to a 48k CoreAudio device but the software SRC happens before the audio gets to the device. The Pro Tools engine determines its functionality by the clock of the audio interface so that doesn't work the same way)

I thought a small USB interface might work for you (like the Apogee One) but none of them run to 192kHz. There are bigger devices that do (RME Babyface Pro, for one) There's also the Scarlett for a lot less (but, personally, I've tested the 192k on that and it is problematic. Focusrite needs help on their drivers.) But it might be cheap enough to grab to get a 192 session to run.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You can only set the aggregate device to the highest sample rate the lowest device supports (in this case 96k)
There aren't any virtual devices that go over 96k
Thanks BScout for the clarification.
Since I do have RME interfaces (for smaller on location recordings I use a UCXII, else an UFXII - both can also work in standalone mode, recording directly to an SSD), I have no problem opening 192k projects at home or on location, when I have access to power and attach my interfaces.
I guess, after reading your great explanation, I need a small, 192k capable USB-"headphone stick" for "just playback" (like a Creative Soundblaster or else). Sound quality is of no importance, since I just want to do basic edits or import & prepare recorded projects whilst traveling - everything else will be done in the studio anyway.