Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-15-2023, 12:52 AM

Default workflow to vocal-up solo-up mixes

How do you organize your session(s) for vocal up mixes, playback mixes and so on.

Sometimes it is good to have a vocal up mix or occasionally a whatever-instrument-up or solo-up mix ready to go to mastering.

Of course this is the last stage before the mix leaves my hands.

Of course there are clients where always another thing turns up after the last stage…
So there you go and have to adjust the little thingy and start over again with your whatever-up mixes.
And since it was two weeks ago that you did the initial definitiv version of each you are kind of unsure if the saved version has the vocal-up automation on top or if you turned it down before saving…

What is your strategy?

Do you save each pass as a separate session, piling up session-files and not having ALL the mixes in ONE session?
Do you note levels in the comments?
Do you note changes intext files?
Do you note levels in the file names?
Other ideas ???

I know, i should hire an assistent, at least i could blame someone else…
Old 03-15-2023, 01:04 PM

Default Re: workflow to vocal-up solo-up mixes

You'll likely get many opinions, so here's mine:
Do you save each pass as a separate session, piling up session-files and not having ALL the mixes in ONE session?Usually not, unless the client wants 2 versions. I usually shoot for a vocal level that the client and I agree on. The master session folder might have several mix versions, but I usually move all but the most recent 2 or three to the Session Backups folder.
Do you note levels in the comments?I might save versions within the master session and name according to changes, such as "songname_voc+3", but normally I just save versions as "songname_mix2", "songname_mix3", etc.(see next comment)
Do you note changes intext files?I try to get clients to email mix notes so I have a paper trail. I print them out and check off each change with details(but a text file is also a good plan).
Do you note levels in the file names?Not usually, but that's just me as usually there are too many changes to fit a file name.
Other ideas ???You could send stems to the ME(music stem, solo stem and/or vocal stem). Now this is not likely my choice(if the client wants this, then fine). I would rather the ME call me to make needed changes since the mix is my job and not their's.

I know, i should hire an assistent, at least i could blame someone else…...this probably won't work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-15-2023, 03:43 PM

If it's just mix changes and not arrangement I would have them in the same project, spaced out on the timeline. If bars/beats aren't important to you (if they are you can just copy the mix to the primary spot on the timeline, then copy the other one back if you need). The select all tool is your friend here.

It's too much of a pain for me to switch sessions.

Of course markers can be used to identify them but also empty region groups on the timeline are great for notes.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:01 AM

highly appreciated, thank you guys!
Old 03-16-2023, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Do you save each pass as a separate session, piling up session-files and not having ALL the mixes in ONE session?Usually not, unless the client wants 2 versions. I usually shoot for a vocal level that the client and I agree on. The master session folder might have several mix versions, but I usually move all but the most recent 2 or three to the Session Backups folder.
Do you note levels in the comments?I might save versions within the master session and name according to changes, such as "songname_voc+3", but normally I just save versions as "songname_mix2", "songname_mix3", etc.(see next comment)
Do you note changes intext files?I try to get clients to email mix notes so I have a paper trail. I print them out and check off each change with details(but a text file is also a good plan).
Do you note levels in the file names?Not usually, but that's just me as usually there are too many changes to fit a file name.
Other ideas ???You could send stems to the ME(music stem, solo stem and/or vocal stem). Now this is not likely my choice(if the client wants this, then fine). I would rather the ME call me to make needed changes since the mix is my job and not their's.

i do it the exact same way, except for using text files instead of paper.
for the usual poject it works just fine.

this time in anticipation i started with one textfile per song and didn't regret as each file got several pages long and it seemed that for every single change there came two new requests....
and it becomes real handy when the requests for 'altenate versions' drop in. 'maby we should try the idea of xxx in mix2 and only implement this on the bridge of mix4?

but at some point it sure is not so much fun to work like that.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
If it's just mix changes and not arrangement I would have them in the same project, spaced out on the timeline.

very interesting
i started piling up duplicate tracks and deactivate the older versions for redundancy.
with your method i wouldn't have to re-activate tracks if i need to go back.
on the other hand i could see problems if i needed to go combine between some changes from mix2, some from mix3 into a mix4...

Quote:
It's too much of a pain for me to switch sessions.

it's total desaster comparing two sessions. you finish by taking screenshots and pixel-peep to try to findout what's going on..

Quote:
Of course markers can be used to identify them but also empty region groups on the timeline are great for notes.

i definitaly need to check this out, i totally ignored region groups so far
Old 03-16-2023, 03:50 PM

I just put the vocal VCA fader into trim mode and do my vocal up or down mixes. After I've printed them I just take the VCA out of trim mode. Then I'm back to my standard mix. I title the mixes how much up or down the vocals are, done!
Old 03-16-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFilterLab View Post
I just put the vocal VCA fader into trim mode and do my vocal up or down mixes. After I've printed them I just take the VCA out of trim mode. Then I'm back to my standard mix. I title the mixes how much up or down the vocals are, done!
True. One thing I've done is to duplicate the VCA, make one inactive while you're doing the alternate mix. Switch the active one(s) and you're back to the other mix.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:17 PM

For simple changes I often make and label a folder and put new VCAs in it with changes, then make the folder inactive.
1991 first AKAI A-DAM DR1200 in NY. 1998 one of the first Ensoniq Paris systems in US.
Currently Pro Tools Ultimate.2023, Native Thunderbolt, M1 based Mac, NEVE BTC console (FOR SALE), Platinum Certified, Grammy Nominated.