Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2022, 12:31 PM

Default Apogee Big Ben and AD/DA 16 Clocking question

Hi everybody,
Is anybody on this forum an ace when it comes to clocking and non-Avid interfaces? My current setup is a 2012 Mac Pro with 1 HDX card using 2 Apogee AD16s and two DA16s clocked by Big Ben. I've been trying to control the sample rate from the computer as opposed to manually changing the sample rate on the Big Ben. Would it be counter-intuitive to clock Big Ben as a slave from one of my DAs as the master so the sample rate automatically conforms to the session? Or is my system suffering by not using Big Ben as the master clock, as intended?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 12-30-2022, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Apogee Big Ben and AD/DA 16 Clocking question

Good question, I've been wondering the same thing, and how to avoid manually changing the sample rate on the Big Ben for each different session.

According to apogee literature, they actually recommend using the big ben in this manner (slave) when using the newer Avid 'sync' clock (ie, sync is master clock, and WC output is fed to big ben, then big ben sends all remaining WC terminations).

https://apogeedigital.com/pdf/bigben_protools.pdf

Therefore I don't think it should matter that much if you make whatever interface shows up first in your ProTools system (I'm guessing the AD16's show up first as 192's?) the master clock (set to 'internal' in your session set up) and then send that WC out to the Big Ben to sync all remaining digital devices.

If you find another way to have Big Ben be the master but not have to change the sample rate manually (Maybe via SPDIF?) let me know!

thanks

Last edited by joeldadrummer; 12-30-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Apogee Big Ben and AD/DA 16 Clocking question

I doubt anybody can hear any difference from any of this.

But assuming you could, the Big Ben clocking from an interface is a fine approach if you want sample rate set by the session.